Thread: Second-hand pirate?

Default Second-hand pirate?

I currently do my cartography stuff on a computer gifted to me by a friend when I had to quit work for disability. It was a very nice gesture on his part. Said computer had CC3, FT, and a few other relevant goodies on it.

So I can't get the symbol sets in CC3 to load. I figure I'll just reinstall the software--only to find out that he'd pirated the software in the first place.

Not wanting to be a second-hand pirate, I go ahead and uninstall the software.

This means my Tanis world-building project is going to be delayed, and it's NOT going to have all the bells and whistles I wanted it to have. However, I've got the Gimp, and there are other free software products out there.

No real point to the post--just a rant.

Well ... from an ethical and moral perspective the fact is that digital piracy is a very different beast from the maritime form of piracy. But leaving aside that quagmire: may I recommend you try out Inkscape as well? It's a vector program and with the rgith symbol sets you can replicate a lot of the functionality of CC - plus do a lot more as well.

Yep, Gimp and Inkscape...those match my budget especially with taxes upon us.

If you are into 3d stuff check out the link on here or look up the free Bryce 7 downloads you can get this month. Pretty awesome stuff but I don't know how to use it yet.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    those match my budget especially with taxes upon us.
    Ditto here, but it's not taxes, it's work on the new house.

If you are into 3d stuff check out the link on here or look up the free Bryce 7 downloads you can get this month. Pretty awesome stuff but I don't know how to use it yet.
    I've tried Poser before, years ago--Bryce is going to be a heck of a learning curve, but if I can handle that, the results certainly look worthwhile. If I remember correctly, Terry Amthor used Bryce (or something similar) on some of his Kulthea projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    Well ... from an ethical and moral perspective the fact is that digital piracy is a very different beast from the maritime form of piracy.
    While I agree that it's quite different, it's still a very sticky wicket.

I actually considered keeping the software installed and working with it the best I could but ... sometimes me conscience bothers me.

But leaving aside that quagmire: may I recommend you try out Inkscape as well? It's a vector program and with the rgith symbol sets you can replicate a lot of the functionality of CC - plus do a lot more as well.
    I tried Illustrator several years ago, and really stank at it. However, it's certainly worth looking at, and as I'm in the queue for disability, it's not like I don't have time on my hands!

Quote Originally Posted by junius_gallio View Post
    I tried Illustrator several years ago, and really stank at it. However, it's certainly worth looking at, and as I'm in the queue for disability, it's not like I don't have time on my hands!
    I'm sorry to hear about that queue! But, I will give you a hint: the learning curve on Inkscape is a bit shallower than on Illustrator, methinks.

I remember starting work at the agency and meeting paths and Illustrator for the first time! Agony! Why three different selection tools?! (now I know why, and it's actually reasonable ... sort of)
    Last edited by Lukc; 02-11-2012 at 11:52 AM.

By the bye, if you're looking for a way to get the hang of the Pen tool quickly, try using it to trace a few pictures. Use the fewest number of points possible, and try to place them at discontinuity and inflection points in the line you're tracing.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name