Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Island/Landmass?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Default Favorite Island/Landmass?

I was talking with a friend the other day while pouring over an atlas, looking for map ideas. i came across a map of the Kerguelen Islands, and i remarked that they were my favorite islands. my friend looked at me strangely, and asked me "You have a favorite island?" i was completely taken aback, of course i have a favorite island! then i realized that having a favorite island is probably not something that most people think about on a daily basis. i began to ask people, and some of them had a ready answer, some looked at me like i was crazy, and some thought about it but had not thought about it before.

So: What is your favorite Island/Landmass?
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

There are so many good ones, though. How can you just have one favorite? I mean, Madagascar has lemurs, but Crete has ancient toilets and labyrinths, while Great Britain has tons of awesome history and delightful accents, while Cuba has an interesting shape and... well, that's just real Earthly islands, what about Treasure Island? Circe's island? The Island of Misfit Toys?

Nope. Can't pick just one.

I like Sicily, because it looks like a triangle ... sort of ... but Cuba, to quote a black adder episode, just reminds me of a horse's p....

(and Kergeulen *does* look awesome)

Agreed, its hard to pick just one...

I like New Zeland, Great Britain, Iceland... There are others but I can't remember right now.

I didn't even know about the Kerguelen Islands, I looked at my atlas but couldnt find this island =/. Fortunately wikipedia always has the information we need

Ireland. Personal favorite.

Seguam Island of the Bearing Sea has my heart, the western side has a high mountain with a dormant volcano. The east contains a sloping hill flowing east into a smallish patch of green plains. It's a bit chilly up there, though I can imagine an island kingdom of hardy people.

A couple of my favs:

Denali National Park Alaska
    - Seriously dramatic.
    Cuernos Del Paine Andes Chili.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Wow... what a great question.

There are so many to choose from, it's too hard to narrow down to just one. I guess I'll go with what I'm currently fascinated with, which is Orkney, an archipelago in northern Scotland. Hoy specifically, is one of the islands there that seems to have captured my attention.
    A man shows who he is, by what he does, with what he has.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Mine has to be the Falkland Islands.

I have used them as a small pirate hangout to a continent/world region and quite a bit in between.

Those Kerguelen Islands do look to many possibility though...
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

isle of Man. it is great for rpg, has enough towns to splt into different factions, central mountain, odd castle here and there, simple road system and even an offshore mini island suitable for pirates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast