Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bringing back the Magic Compass

Argh, I've accidently closed my browser so I have to type it again.
    Are you planning a new banner?
    If so I won't care about realism, shadows and IORs. The banner should be an eyecatcher and I think it looks good as it is. IMO I would refine what you have like the structure of the compass and its material. Adding details like the open ink bottle and ink on the feathers are very good ideas.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wasn't really considering redoing the banner, but it's an option. Thanks for all the feedback! Tomorrow I'll post a version that's hopefully a little brighter overall.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here ya go, updated. I added some texture to the flat metal bits to give it some pop...but I'm not sure about it. I also redid the inkwell so it looks a bit more defined. Didn't get much time to spend on it today though. Still need to add ink to the inkwell lip, cork, and quill tip.

What do you all think of the texture of the metal and the brighter lighting?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cartocompass.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	42295
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

This is my favorite version of the metal so far.. I love the texture and the lighting.

I can't quite decide, but I think I liked the previous version of the ink bottle more. To me.. the lip just needed to stand out better so it wasn't lost in the background.
    A man shows who he is, by what he does, with what he has.

Hmmm.. Arcana..Magic Compass. I say EPIC! Wow, I wish I had a prop like this to throw down in the middle of a game. Oh if only wishes were nickles I'd be rich. I, for one, am loving the lighting.

The brushed metal looks really good, also the new inkwell. Imo the dark warm lighting fits better to the scene. More structures on the crystals could be seen. I would definitely try to put a small light source (perhaps coloured?) inside the crystal pointing north.
    Please tell us what software you use for modeling and rendering

Hmm.... not sure what others think, but I personally would like to see the facets of the gems come thought a lot more.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hehe, jf I was thinking it would be killer if there were reflections of the room in the crystal or maybe a cartographer's face but that's probably way over the top and only something I would look for...even though I wouldn't expect to see it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I like the brighter lighting, it stands out nicer than the first shot.

Lovely work.

I like it, I agree a bit more definitions on the facets would make the center gem pop.. which i'd assume it should being the centre of the compas itself... obviously if it's easy enough to do, it looks great either way..

I like the texturing on the metal as well, i just find it to be a -touch- to defined, i think it might look better a bit more transparent, but really i'd have to see it to decide.. i'd also think the gold should be more textured than the metal, since it's softer, but this is all just throwing out ideas to experiment with.. all in all it looks fantastic!
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12