Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Realistic 2300AD Near Star map

I haven't forgotten about this - in fact I've been hard at work on it! I now have reached a point where I can create updated versions of the Arms to fit the realistic star map and start talking about the new layout!

You can check it out at: http://evildrganymede.net/2013/08/11...-introduction/ - I'll be posting more in the coming weeks!

It does look good with all these colors. These are still all real star systems ?

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    It does look good with all these colors. These are still all real star systems ?
    Yep, they're all real star systems. Not a single fictional star among 'em

The next article in the series is up! This one presents a full (2D) map and a written overview of the new Arms!

[2300AD] Realistic Star Map Project: Part II – Overview

Part III of the series is up! This one covers the New French Arm, including some 3D maps and a subway map!

[2300AD] Realistic Star Map Project: Part III – The New French Arm

(The subway map was made using the generator at METRO MAP CREATOR )

Part IV: The New American Arm - the next part of my 2300AD Realistic Star Map Project is up! This article describes what the New American Arm looks like with realistic stars (including another 'subway map')!

[2300AD] Realistic Star Map Project: Part IV ? The New American Arm « The Lair of Evil Dr. Ganymede

Part V: The New Chinese Arm - the final part of my 2300AD Realistic Star Map Project is up! This article describes what the New Chinese Arm looks like with realistic stars (including another 'subway map')!

[2300AD] Realistic Star Map Project: Part V - The New Chinese Arm « The Lair of Evil Dr. Ganymede
    Last edited by EDG; 12-09-2013 at 12:27 AM.

I made an error in placing one of the brown dwarfs that affected the French and Chinese Arms. I've fixed that now, and also made some other tweaks to the French Arm too.

Here are all of my 2300AD Realistic Near Star Map articles (now updated!) in one place:

Part 0: The original Near Star Map
    Part 1: Introduction
    Part 2: Overview
    Part 3: New French Arm
    Part 4: New American Arm
    Part 5: New Chinese Arm
    Last edited by EDG; 12-09-2013 at 12:33 AM.

I've never played 2300AD, and my knowledge is limited to a scattering of RPG forum posts. Your work gives enough context I don't need any more. Ever since I saw an old map of nearby stars in Spaceships of the Mind, I've wanted to see an SF universe built around that. And when I first wanted it back in the 1990s, I never thought that the 70s-80s stellar position data I had access to might be obsolete enough to change things significantly.
    Last edited by Triplicate; 12-09-2013 at 10:38 AM.

I haven't been here in a long time, but as you may have seen in old threads I encountered and was dissuaded by the complexities involved in any sort of realistic star map for gaming purposes. I ended up making my own map (with a smaller set of near stars) for a setting akin to 2300. So, I can say with no hesitation/reservation that I'm amazed at the skill you displayed and the sheer work you must have put in planning and drawing these.

It's great of you to share them with other gamers. And the subway map is a great idea for the 2300AD arms!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast