Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Realistic 2300AD Near Star map

Link Realistic 2300AD Near Star map

Article link: http://evildrganymede.net/2012/02/13...near-star-map/

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this sort of thing, but I figure that people may be interested in this here!

Now that I've updated my Stellar Mapping page (which would also be of interest to folks on this forum who want realistic positional data for the stars in the solar neighbourhood), I've taken a look at the Near Star Map from the 2300AD RPG to find out how it's different to the distribution of real stars around Sol that we know today. And it turns out to be quite interesting, as I describe in this rather huge article (which also includes route maps and an animation, a sample of which is shown below)! The maps were made using NBOS' Astrosynthesis 3.0, using data that I collected from various sites (as explained on the Stellar Mapping page).

Oblique view of the Arms (click to view article):

If you're a fan of the 2300AD RPG, you'll definitely be wanting to look at this! (and if you know anyone else who is, please point them to the article!)

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That's quite something. I liked the animation of the 3d view - it's hard to take a 3d area and represent it in 2 dimensions and this really shows off the web of routes.

Of course with most of the galactic scale maps the z coordinate doesn't mean as much, but in smaller areas like this it's a huge factor.
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 02-14-2012 at 02:01 AM. Reason: how many times can i use scale in one sentence??

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Thanks! I think it came out very well . It's interesting to do this kind of research too - to me this is what SF is all about, taking an idea (in this case, "what if were limited to 7.7 ly routes to the nearest stars?") and seeing where that takes you.

Astrosynthesis is a fiddly program to set up the way I want it, but once mastered it can be quite powerful. I guess I'm the ideal audience for it - a technically minded person who has some programming experience and who really wants to get it to do the stuff he wants done .

Anyone who is interested in more general mapping of the stars near Sol should really take a look at my Stellar Mapping page - it has accurate databases for the Solar Neighbourhood (out to 300ly distant) taken from the RECONS, DENSE and Hipparcos star catalogues! The data is presented as generic CSV files that contain either Galactic XYZ coordinates (usable for any purpose), or Astrosynthesis XYZ coordinates (specifically for importing in to AS only).

I've now added 164 stars from the CTIOPI dataset (available on the RECONS website), and also updated the DENSE data. See http://evildrganymede.net/2012/02/27...-ctiopi-added/ for details.

If you've downloaded the datasets previously, you'll need to download the updated versions rom the Stellar Mapping page!

Guild Journeyer MadCartographer's Avatar

I love AstroSynthesis! I have had it for about 6 years now, and Ver 3 is AWESOME! I "was" helping a friend of mine create a SciFi RPG game that went the "way of the dodo bird" (to bad, nice concept he had too, oh well) and I was incharge of creating his planets and mapping out all of the known universe. I also used the Hipparcos star catalogues on the NBOS site as my starting point. Nice work. REPPED!
    _________
    User of:
    CC2 & CC3, FT Pro Exclusively.
    If it's ProFantasy, I'm using it.

I've now replaced the New Reduction Hipparcos data with the brand new Extended Hipparcos dataset, so if you downloaded that previously then please head back and download the new data! Also, my stellar mapping site now proudly bears the Atomic Rockets Seal of Approval!

See http://evildrganymede.net/2012/03/12...dataset-added/ for details!

New update!

I’ve added a new Brown Dwarf dataset to the Stellar Mapping page! This should hopefully be the last major update to the stellar datasets for a while – the next project on the list is to figure out what the reworked Arms for 2300AD might look like based on the realistic data.

I've also made some major updates to the other datasets on the Stellar Mapping page, so if you're using them then you'll want to download the new versions!

See http://evildrganymede.net/2012/03/25...g-brown-dwarf/ for more details!

How do you resolve conflicts in position between the different catalogues? Some of the names differ. I tried doing automating an intersect between Gliese 2 and 3 many, many moons ago and finally gave it up for dead.

EDIT: Oh yeah! Cool map!

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    How do you resolve conflicts in position between the different catalogues? Some of the names differ. I tried doing automating an intersect between Gliese 2 and 3 many, many moons ago and finally gave it up for dead.
    Gliese is just all-around wrong - it's long since been superseded by Hipparcos (which has had two different refinements since then!). But if I had to use Gliese, I would just drop Gliese 2 and use Gliese 3 instead (thereby avoiding conflict between them!).

Trigonometric parallaxes win over anything else - those are way more accurate than other distance determination methods. RECONS, DENSE and CTOIPI are all trigonometric, and out of those I hold RECONS as being completely accurate (it's not really, but it's the most accurate of the lot), then DENSE, then CTIOPI. Beyond that HipX is king. LDWARF is "accurate enough" - I'd guess that many of the distances aren't too accurate since most are photometrically determined (not trigonometrically).

There aren't too many conflicts between those catalogues because there's not a huge amount of overlap. But I would never use HipX along with Yale and/or Gliese - they're so different that they may as well describe different universes . Hipparcos would always reign supreme out of those three, and Yale and Gliese should never be mixed because you will get a lot of overlap and duplicates.

(er, did that answer your question at all?)

EDIT: Oh yeah! Cool map!
    Glad you like it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast