Thread: [IP] Polyhedron Games LLC looking for a cartographer/member

The state of confusion in the pit of hell

Info [IP] Polyhedron Games LLC looking for a cartographer/member

I've been dabbling in this map stuff for a bit and it's definitely an exacting gig. I've made some progress, but with my current projects mapping just isn't a priority, though I just purchased Fractal Terrains (shoot me for being a dummy!). Anyway, I'm also in the process of launching Polyhedron Games LLC. The corporation is formed and I'm producing. Trouble is, so far, this has been a one-man show and I'm a one-trick pony. I can write and I'm pretty good with graphics, but I have no artistic talent at all and the learning curve on these cartography programs is quite steep for me. I'm getting some coaching on getting this business going and one of the key points is that I produce. I have planned the publication of The Ertian Chronicles for Spring of 2014, a good bit of it already written. One of the techniques I've learned is to publish a large work in smaller parts, in this case, to issue gazetteers. To do that, I need some cartography. I have a hand drawn map of the world. Eventually, that would need to be rendered professionally, but for now, the need is for regional maps.

So here's the deal. I'm the manager/member, sole member of this LLC. I declared in the paperwork that I was funding it with $1,000. Now, with the expenses I've already incurred, I'm certainly into it for more than that. Now I'd like to recruit at least three other members, one in cartography, one in art and one in layout. Two others might be in editing and one in finance and that would be maxed out. I'm not looking to stuff the membership. Now, I could pay a flat rate for your work (eventually, I'm on a fixed income) but I'm really interested in someone who wants to be part of a new force in the industry. The LLC will not have employees. We will work solely on a member or contractual basis, outsourcing where needed. As a member, you would be recompensed at a certain percentage of the total income of the LLC. You would also have editorial control over the "cartography department." Becoming a member takes an investment of time and talent, though you're free to work as you please as long as we can make deadline (that 2014 date is the only deadline I've set, so far, and it's not set in stone) and you'd need to match my $1,000 in financial investment to the company.

If interested, please email me at gameguru/*at/*polyhedrongames.com. I'll also entertain notions of piece work, but you'll need to be flexible.

Well, this hasn't been going well and I've been gearing up for GaryCon. I was just looking at some of my material and I'm definitely going to need a regional map periodically. With my expenses so far and projections for GaryCon, I'll not be able to pay any recompense until mid year, but the first installment of the Ertian Chronicles won't be until after the con in any case. I'm also planning on the NTRPGCon in June. I should have my rules system KISS™ available at those cons, but I'm going to need a map of Beldany, or as the elves call it, Facwilla before too long.

Help

Alright, maybe I'm going at this in some dunder-headed way. I need maps. I have a hand-drawn world map that one would use as a base and eventually, it would be redrawn in toto. However, I'll be detailing the nations and regions of Ert and publishing them as they are completed, so I need maps of those regions. I'm trying to do a thousand things with one puny brain, so I don't want to try and do this myself, though I did fire up CC3 to see if I could do it myself. Well, I got some preliminary "sketching" done and I guess I could manage if I had to, but I'm still a rank amateur. The Chronicles of Ert is going to be a massive product and just the writing and research has taken a heavy toll on me. This one-man business stuff is incredibly difficult and I need all the help I can get.

You all have way more experience in this field than I do. Please, tell me what I need to do to get some help. Thanks.

Blog Entries

I just read your threads and I know it was suggested you try this thread but I personally would recommend you take a map request back to the map request forum. Compared to that forum realtively few can read it here. By all means, post your business proposals here but if you are getting desperate for a map then you'd have more chance of getting an artist in the other forum, especially if funds are limited. I'd also recommend just asking for a map rather than a partner as that could be off-putting to many. Read the sticky thread there, answer as many of the questions as you can about style, size, deadline etc. and you will get some interested. Obviously, if you can pay you will get more interested but if you ask for a map for free then you might also get lucky and get someone who just wants the practice or to develop the confidence to start taking commissions.

Good luck finding your cartographer and with your business.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt