Thread: Terravia (Gimp Map)

Wip Terravia (Gimp Map)

Hi,
    being new here, I thought i'd best introduce myself with the first map I've made with Gimp following most of the steps in the Gimp translation of the tutorial by Ascenion. I don't have much experience with Gimp, but compared to the other maps I've createt this one looks not bad
    The working name for the world is Terravia. It currently is a high fantasy world, inhabited by creatures like humans, dwarfs, elves, dragons and demons.
    It will propably become a campaign map for a future Roleplaying Campaign, but the since the campaign I'm currently running is far from finished, this will probably take a few years .
    I've already createt some of the states that exist in this world, as well as their basic diplomatic relations and some of the important characers that live there.
    The basic premise for the world is, that once very powerful beings that could alter matter and reality itself came to the universe where my world is situated and brought various different species to a certain world to study them.
    They soon became worshiped as gods and started not only to study the other species, but to teach them. Someday they startet not only to observe, but to create life and all kinds of different and sometimes rather strange creatures came from it.
    In the current timeline of my world, the "gods" have left their creations and their followers. Now this potentially explosive mix of different species is living together on one planet and they have to figure out how to peacfully live together all hell is going to breake loose

The steps I didn't really understand (I'm using the german version of Gimp, I might change to the english version in the future) or was unable to reproduce were the "snowcaps" and the "coastline" steps. Also my hills don't relly look like they should. I've resized the map from 3000x3000 to 1000x100,

(I hope I'm in the right place for posting this)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terravia_01.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	42321

Looks nice but the blue around the landmass is not really necessary in my opinion.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

It allready looks very good. I would only put more space at the south end of the map.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not really satisfied with the coastlines and the ocean it does look a bit too "cloudy". It does look a little "squeezed" at the bottom, doesn't it ?
    I'll have to correct that sometimes.
    Since it's (propably) supposed to become a Campaign map for a D&D Campaign someday in the future, I've added some countries. I didn't have much time to work on the map in the last days, so With a few exceptions the names are pretty horrible and mostly placeholders until I can think of better names.
    The rest is latin or pseudolatin. Generelly I'm pretty uncreativ when it comes to names, so if you have any idea how to find better names for countries, places etc. your help would be greatly appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GimpTerravia05_2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	42553