Thread: *** APRIL CHALLENGE: A Sea Chart...With a Secret!

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Info *** APRIL CHALLENGE: A Sea Chart...With a Secret!

In this month's competition we take to the high seas. The challenge is to map a sea chart but somewhere on the chart is the location of a secret. It may be a lost undersea city, buried treasure or a wizard's isle: the nature of the secret is up to you. How you wish to provide clues to your secret location is also up to you. For example, you can compose a riddle in the margin using latitude and longitude numbers, you might choose to use arcane symbols or you might want to cleverly disguise your secret using visual clues in the map itself. Alternatively, you might want to accompany your map with a rhyme or riddle.

Guidelines
    • The majority of your map must be an ocean or sea.
    • Your map must contain at least one continental coastline (in whole or in part) and at least four islands, the scale of the map is at the creator's discretion.
    • Located on your map must be a secret place (which itself obviously need not be drawn or marked) but which requires the reader to solve a puzzle in order to discover either it's nature or its location or both.
    • Bonus consideration will be given for a back story to your map

Remember to adhere to the contest rules, plus create a thread for your entry (WIPs welcome), and if you have any questions please post them in this thread. Good luck!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

I'll try and maintain a thumbnail page again, but if you could put

### Latest WIP ###

at the end of a post that contains an update to the map entry then the script should snag the very next image as the attachment and auto format it into the thumbnail page. This is its first month where its going to be semi-automated. Last month was too much effort doing it all by hand.

Thumbnails April 08

The Entrants :-
    Code:
    ### New Challenge Entry:Venardhi,1771
    ### New Challenge Entry:delgondahntelius,1773
    ### New Challenge Entry:helium3,1795
    ### New Challenge Entry:Carnifex,1798
    ### New Challenge Entry:SpamValiant,1801
    ### New Challenge Entry:Gamerprinter,1804
    ### New Challenge Entry:rlucci,1810
    ### New Challenge Entry:RobA,1833
    ### New Challenge Entry:Publius,1836
    ### New Challenge Entry:Valadaar,1843
    ### New Challenge Entry:Chel,1872
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-22-2008 at 04:05 PM.

Post I'll coincide this entry with my CBG entry...

Nice timing here, I just joined the CBG and am working on an entry for their April Contest "Undersea Menace" - so this should work well, as I'll map the same area of the northern seas in my campaign world there. I've got 600 miles of open sea between the continent and my campaign island chain a nice place to put a secret location. This should be fun.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Nice timing here, I just joined the CBG and am working on an entry for their April Contest "Undersea Menace" - so this should work well, as I'll map the same area of the northern seas in my campaign world there. I've got 600 miles of open sea between the continent and my campaign island chain a nice place to put a secret location. This should be fun.
    That's funny, that was my thought too.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Post I understand the Fantaseum theme...

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I believe the similarity to the CBG content is moderately intentional, as there is a planned theme to the next issue of Fantaseum...

-Rob A>
    I realize the "ocean theme" was going to be what all the Fantaseum members were going to do for the next newsletter. However that doesn't necessarily mean that there would be enough similarity between the specifics of the CBG and the CG challenges. The requirements are loose enough to allow me to have entries to both and be directly related to one another.

Plus I wasn't sure the coordination for contests would be on the same month. We could have had a sea theme last month or next and still make the similar theme for the next newsletter.

It's just nice to be perfectly coordinated.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-04-2008 at 09:39 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I think i'm going to play in this one this time. Exciting!

The Campaign Builders' Guild - Part of the Alliance of Creative Communities, the Campaign Builders' Guild is your home away from home while searching for tips, reviews, criticisms, helpful hints, and resources for building a wonderful campaign setting.

Turtles All the Way Down - Blogging about Building Campaigns.