Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [region 1][map 2 & 3] Chedalbur

Blog Entries

I took a look at the basin filling algorithm and I agree that it would help but I also think I am doing quite a lot of that math in the process of just doing the water flow so I am thinking that I should fix up the single pixel issue by arbitrarily adding some height to the low pixel.

My fluid flow will automatically breech the rim of a full basin and it ought to start eroding it. I think my issues have been in the area that if the water exits out of the top at about the rate it evaporates or somehow rounds down or something like that then its just not causing it to punch a decent sized hole in the side to let it flood out and wash away the bank. What I need also is for static water to drop sediment and then it would rise up and overflow all by itself. But I have found a neat way to mimic that semi automatically which does seem to work ok. I'll investigate and add some more lines of code to the sim if I can work out a stable process.

I think if I had a climate model that varies the rain fall more dramatically then I think there would be times where it pours down momentarily so that it overflows a lot and then dries up a bit for a while. That variation might be needed to stop this steady state thing going on.

Blog Entries

Been playing some more - cos I cant resist... made a few code changes etc. I think this one is better and has less of those pot holes but its not quite perfect. I need to keep playing really.

Well I don't have time to build maps, I still have some time to write up the Kingdom of Chedalbur. Here is some of it so far.

==============================================
    Chedalbur

The kingdom of Chedalbur is the north western territory of Ansium. Spanning from the cold swamps in the south to the icy north pole in the north, the great ocean of the west to the boundary of the mighty mountain range in the east.
    The Chedal, a reptilian race, are the rulers of this cold kingdom. They fiercely protect their kingdom from outsiders, restricting them to the trading outposts just within the Chedalbur's borders. Stories told at the outposts' taverns have a common theme: those who do not heed the warnings of not travelling further into Chedalbur are said to never return. Those who trade with the Chedals at the outposts have said the Chedals are magical in nature, having powers to control nature (climate, weather, beast and plants) and the dead.
    For many millennium Chedalbur has also been known as The Kingdom of the Dead by the populace of the border kingdoms to the south, east and west of Chedalbur. For those who have barely survived battles and wars against the Chedal, have reported the Chedalbur's militia consisting of Chedal sorcerers, druids, warriors, beasts and minion races amongst the dead: skeletons, zombies, ghouls, and many other deadly forms. The most horrifying and devastating weapon of the Chedal militia is it's ability to quickly rebuild it's troops numbers and increase it's size by animating the dead of battlefield. The size of Chedalbur's army is unknown, for no one knows how many of the dead is animated nor the vast dead hidden below the surface ready to rise to to the surface to become Chadalbur's loyal troops.
    Since the last attempted invasion from Moab over a millennium ago Chedalbur has been at peace with it's neighbouring kingdoms. Though a simple special agreement treaty exists with the kingdom of Baom, that the dead of Chedalbur's territories also belongs to Chedalbur.

History

The Chedal are an ancient race evolving from simple flying lizard like creatures that occupied the cold swamps and bogs of the region over many millennium. Becoming sentient they formed primitive tribes defending their cold watery territories. Over the next couple millennium the Chedal's territory expanded northwards and eastwards as a result of tribal infighting over tribal territories. To the north they eventually claimed the entire north western land mass including most of the polar ice cap. To the east they discovered a huge valley containing another large cold lake that they claimed as their own.
    During the expansion period the Chedal master the art of magic, perfecting as time went by. The various regions began specializing their magical arts according to their environments they lived in. In the northern region (the icy mountains, tundra and forest) the Chedal mastered controlling the weather (including ice) to allow them to survive the harsh icy world. By controlling weather they created warmth islands to live in comfortable. In the eastern region (the forests) the Chedal mastered controlling the beasts and plants. In the south western region (swamps and bogs) the Chedal mastered controlling the water, disease and poison.
    As time went by villages, towns and cities formed to give rise to a social structure of rulers. Many battles took place amongst the Chedal clans, though they lived largely independent of each other. Eventually five clans formed with a few smaller tribes amongst the larger clans.
    About five millennium ago, the other sentient races began to appear at the south eastern boundaries of the Chedal's territories building settlements nearby. Firstly a few little skirmishes took place when the Chedal decided to chase away the settlers from their borders. Over time the battles grew bigger until Chedal realized there would one day be an full invasion into their territories. The five clan rulers came together holding meetings over a number of days. At the end of the meetings, the decision was taken to form a single kingdom containing all the clan and tribal territories for the best defence of the Chedal.
    The new formed kingdom and capital would be named as a Chedalbur, after the Chedal race. For best defence from invaders, thus the large city in the northern most large swamp was chosen as the capital to house the new Chedalbur High Council, the seat of power for Chedalbur. The Chedalbur High Council consisted of five ruler seats, where each seat representing one of five territories and had equal ruling powers. The smaller tribal territories were absorbed into the five clan territories. For each territory, the territory rulers would to elect a representative to serve on the Chedalbur High Council for a maximum of ten years. To strengthen the militia, experts from all five territories are brought together in each platoon. With increased threats to Chedalbur, the grand masters of magic began focusing their energies on animating the dead, in order to have a ready army at any given notice. Also an army that needed no feeding or to be kept busy at times of peace.
    By the time the first full army invaded into Chedalbur from the east, the army of the dead had been created. With the aid of the animated dead the Chedalburians managed to destroy the invading army before they could get through the dense forest to the lake. The scatter invaders was hunted down until the Chedalbur border. After the first failed invasion of Chedalbur, the few surviving invaders who managed to escape Chedalbur, gave Chedalbur it's other name of Kingdom of the Dead, after facing an army of the dead. The loses on Chedalbur's side was also huge, though mostly being the dead. Research continued in perfecting the art of controlling the dead and raising of the dead troops. To use the fallen of the battlefield to strengthen and rebuild the Chedalbur dead army.

Moab invasion
    The last attempted invasion into Chedalbur was from the army of Moab, some time before the meteorite landed in the Crystal Lake of Moab. As punishment for trying to invade Chadalbur, the Chedalburians laid to waste the border towns and villages including Glenwood Springs, Axtell, Clawson and Basalt, and destroying large city called Cedar City using the raised dead troops of Moab. Hearing news of the fall of Cedar City and the Chedalbur militia moving towards the cities of Kingston, Huntington and Huta, while growing stronger with the dead of Moab, the ruler of Moab declared a truce with with Chedalbur.
    After the declaration of peace, the new south western border of Chedalbur was established starting from the northern most point of the bay to the east of Kingston, moving northwards through High Wood to Ooze Lake to the south eastern side of Danger Wood though to the west of Danger Wood and finally to the eastern most point of the bay north of Glenwood Springs. The territory increase of Chedalbur was the first since the first settlers arrived beyond Chedal's borders. After the war a new trading village was established on the shore of Lake Ooze. The village was named Keystone and eventually became a town.

Geography

To be done...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345