Thread: [WIP] - My first Town (happy for criticism)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip [WIP] - My first Town (happy for criticism)

Hello guys,

I love this forum and the wonderful maps here. I'm new to the forum I now I'll show you my first attempt of a town for a RPG game (The Dark Eye).

The town is quite small and located at a riverside. It climate is warm, so there are many vineyards and 2 wine makers (in the upper left and right corner). The funny looking white/yellow buliding is supposed to be a oriental style caravansary (it needs to be there because of the Dark Eye description of the town).
    I'm quite happy with my work so far - because as I said this is my fist map ever.

Anyway I would be happy to get some comments and especially constructive criticism!!

I used some textures but all the rest was drawn by mouse exclusively in GIMP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Then V1.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	42370

That's a nice map, especially for your first one! I think the buildings would definitely benefit from light/dark shading on the roof slopes to make them stand out a bit more.

Yes you are right. I'll try that. I'm also not happy with the trees yet.

Alright. I introduced shading on the roof slopes and some shadows at the houses. And I added some more details, like the litte gardens with vegie, some horses and only a few more buildings. Ah, and I changed the trees.

Now I'm quite happy with my first map. But I still appreciate any comments from you guys!! :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Then V3.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	42423

Yeah, that's definitely better. The shading and subtle drop shadow give it all a bit more depth.