Thread: Extended Map of Sarkrid's Reach

Wip Extended Map of Sarkrid's Reach

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ExtendedReach.Png 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	42053

This is the second map I've made, and the first map following the "Fast and Easy Artistic Maps in the GIMP" by darklingrisen

It definitely needs some work, revisions, and finishing touches...but I wanted to post it cause I was a lil proud of it so far.

Scale is 1 inch = 50 miles.

Not bad, not bad at all. A very nice variation of darkling's style and a good choice of brushes.

Some points I think you should take notice of.
    - Your rivers are a little boring. At that scale, they could use a little more wiggle.
    - These black blotches at the border of the map and on the coastlines... are they intentional or are they some wierd artefacts from your backgroung pattern?
    - Main point of critique: the map is too empty. Most of it is just water... not very interesting for a cartographer. If you want to keep to that geography, you should change the focus of this map.

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    - Main point of critique: the map is too empty. Most of it is just water... not very interesting for a cartographer. If you want to keep to that geography, you should change the focus of this map.
    Have to agree here. The map isn't bad, but the lack of, well, anything on it is a bit of a problem.

Hey, thanks for the input here.

I was concerned with making it too busy, or having the rivers do too much crazy stuff. But having but the map down, and coming back to it, I definitely see what you mean by it being boring/sparse.

The area in the center (the reach) has established geography and features, but the areas beyond it are pretty fair game. In the game world, it's been about four centuries since the collapse of the last big empire, and the region they are in was on the frontier of that empire.

Now, what do you think might liven it up (aside from, say, place names)? Adding a brush for grasslands? adding symbols for dungeons or legendary/mythic places? I'd like some of the mystery of inaccurate maps (that is maps from so long ago that the information may be outdated) but I also don't want to lead my players too far down garden paths (thus a lack of information instead of an abundance).

Thanks again!

Wow, this is gorgeous!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Labels, perhaps some ship icons, a decent border and a compassrose and its getting some flavour