Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Now that the regional maps are nearly complete and we are filling in cities and localities, I wonder whether it's worth having a map of the entire region with dots representing cities already mapped (or in the progress of mapping) so people can see what cities or towns they would like to map?
    How about starting with a high res vector version in a format most anyone could use? A postscript version could be pulled into any map...

Then geopolitical boundaries and cities could be added fairly easily by anyone and re-uploaded into a thread...

-Rob A>

In another thread the question was asked exactly where in the CWBP world does the are being mapped lie,,,,the answer is
    LONGITUDE=40.900618° E
    NORTH LATITUDE=64.514710° N
    EAST LONGITUDE=80.466861° E
    SOUTH LATITUDE=30.922578° N
    COVERED AREA=4278335 sq mi.
    I thought I would post it here, as A pic is included, and so I don't loose the reference again so I can find it when I finally have time to gmap the rest of the cwbp maps for InsCarto.
    SeerBlue
    edit, I probably should have said the full size pic shows where the bounds are on the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldwagnerhammer.png 
Views:	406 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	5276  
    Last edited by SeerBlue; 07-16-2008 at 08:47 PM.
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Post Climate

Do you have a climate image we can all use too?

Is a map of the entire world available in Simple Cylindrical projection? (aka "Cylindrical Equidistant" or "Plate Carré" )

My searches haven't found one. I had hoped it would be available on the Wiki, for example.

It'd be nice to be able to view the entire globe interactively in a 3D viewer.

I am, of course, biased toward using Celestia for this, so a heightmap would be very useful, too.

p.s. for an example of what I mean, see http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...?t=5415&page=6
    Last edited by selden; 08-11-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Blog Entries

You wanted the height map and color maps of the world. I am still not quite up to full steam with the ole box here but I have enough going now to give a link to the color map...

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/Th...rld_Color1.png

Theres no height map online but I have it. I just need to fetch it off the backup disks and upload it. The one which seer wanted was in HF2 format which is what I work in. I can do that or a greyscale png.

Neon made the original world in Fractal Terrains Pro and I don't use that app so I don't have its preferred format or any specific projection other than the normal Mercator type for cylindrical projection. Well, if I have the projection term wrong, it will be same as the color image !

Redrobes,

Thanks!

I've downloaded the color surface texture. It seems to be the right projection.

How was it generated? The coloration in the oceans seems to be irregular (dithered?) instead of being a single color as I expected. The irregularities look like lots of small bumps and don't correspond to the undersea topology.

Personally, I'd prefer png format for the heightmap, since I'm not familiar with HF2. (Is that the format used by HalfLife2? I'm not a gamer.)

Thanks again.
    Selden

Blog Entries

Well Neon generated the world height map and gave it out. After some translation to my preferred format I stuck it into an app I wrote which textures height maps with various textures. The sea color is not showing much below surface. Its supposed to be the surface of the sea with some slight coloration of the sand or whatever below the surface which fades out as it gets deeper. Its sort of procedural so you can see the same shader here in Gatini Island...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...7&d=1249261942

You can see that it also shades sea foam and wet sand etc. Its all done together in one huge programmable shader thing.

I am getting my PC back into shape but I still need to grab that work area bit to get the height map.

Oh yeah, HF2 is the second generation from HF format which is one of the height field formats. A group of us led by Aaron of L3DT came up with the spec for it. There is a free library from Aaron to load and save into it on his site. Its under lesser GPL.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 08-16-2009 at 09:37 AM.

Thanks for the explanations!
    The shader certainly does make the island look like it's covered by trees.

I'll investigate HF2, but PNG seems to be the best choice for me for right now.

Thanks, again.
    Selden

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast