Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Commission-Map for the Sleeping Gods Savage World Campaignbook

Those house/city/village icons do look great. Are you planning on using them to create a city map, or will they be placed into context on your larger world map? Either way spectacular artistic work.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Galendae View Post
    Have you seen "Finding Nemo"? That movie said it best, "All drains lead to the ocean.".
    Then explain Okavango to me.
    Conversation at university while writing our group report:
    "I'll make a map." - "We don't need a map, we only interviewed some people." - " I know, but it won't stop me from making one."

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

FOr the houses i take both ussage.

Well all rivers starts in mountains, the rivers unite and dont split. The have diverse thickness, collects in lakes with on in and one outflow. And the hight terrain flows in lower fields. The rivers eats up a lot of earth in the grasland than spill it out in the swamp deltas/ Mangrove. So where is the issue?

Ok i reread the posts. I see the problematic situation in th valleys. I will add rivers and erease some of the hills. Its a hillside landscape. Does it look like mountains?

Wip

ok here is an Mapupdate on the rivers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kamillo-Landscape1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	42591  

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Wonderful! I would suggest a a river from the central mountains just right of the lake that joins up with the river that heads NE, but there could also be a desert there that easily explains the lack of said river. Also, the archipelago/swamp in the central mountains connects with two rivers, an unlikely happenstance. I would disconnect the southern river.

About climate: Clouds and rain are carried by winds that tend to blow in the same patterns. When clouds hit mountains, they dump their rain, causing lush forests. But on the other half of the ridge, there is no rain and a desert is created. a wonderful example of this is California vs Utah. As you go over those mountains you go from forests, strawberry farms, and wineries to slat flats and cacti.

Certain general worldwide patters (caused by the earths rotation) are shown on this map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tradewinds.png 
Views:	647 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	42596
    Exceptions are common, for example this is how winds generally are:

Name:	winds04.gif 
Views:	1649 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	42597
    Just something to be aware of when designing the climates. Your central mountains will have at least one side that is desert. Winds coming off deserts will be warm (one of the reasons for the warmth of europe is the wind from the sahara.)
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Wip

Well we do have mountains in the middle of germany and no desserts. I think the climate on the map shall not be so extrem to have desserts. The one commissioning the map wants forests and graslands both side of the centrall Hill-Land. <they will come soon. Man, thanks for the verry usefull images, will try to learn some more geophysics as soon as possible.

I got inspired by Tetrajak´s Continent of Irshy Map to redo the City and Housesymbols. I will rethink some of my earlier brushes like trees and Castles and will redo them soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	42602  
    Last edited by Schwarzkreuz; 02-27-2012 at 07:10 PM.

True; it is not always as pronounced as I have made out, and there are exceptions. However, a quick look at the rainfall map in germany vs the altitude map and you can see the correlation.

Name:	germany-rainfall-map.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	42609

Name:	Deutschland_topo.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	42610
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Well, dont misunderstand me, normally I would do corrections on the effects of mountains and deltas and so on, but its a commission. The overall landscape is fixed in the concept. I did never disagreed with you.

Oh my ... next personal map I would love to discuss with you. +rep
    Last edited by Schwarzkreuz; 02-28-2012 at 10:10 PM.

My apologies, I had forgotten that it was a commission.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast