Thread: greetings from a canadian gamer

Default greetings from a canadian gamer

hello all I'm here now to get my mapping on.
    I've been ghosting around for a long time looking and collecting maps but unable to add any myself. I have now decided to try the GIMP download and find time to make some maps. Mainly its for a creation of my own pen and paper pathfinder dnd campaign.
    We just completed the temple of elemental evil with a climatic ending involving a massive destruction of an alter dedicated to a demoness which has caused the whole temple to implode and our hero's have been thrown through a void to arrive who knows where.
    the point is I now have the chance to break away from greyhawk and start my own setting so here iam .hope to chat with you all soon. Who knows maybe ill be able to post some cool stuff soon (time dependant)

Heya!

I don't use it myself, but I know there are some very skilled individuals here who use GIMP if you happen to need help. I'm pretty sure there are some GIMP tutorials as well.

Hope to see some of your work soon.

Welcome to the Cartographers' Guild mon ami,

-Lailokken
    A man shows who he is, by what he does, with what he has.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Yuppers indeedydoodly, there are plenty of tutorials on this site for Gimp. Not to mention for other progs. You can find them in the Tutorials forum at the bottom of the Main page.

The best advise I can give on that point is look for RobA's tutorial for Creating Regoinal Maps in Gimp....or named something like that. This tut, while it may noy be your "style", is just packed with techniques and tips on how to use this prog (and believe it or not, most of this works with other raster type image editing progs out there - just need to find out what the terms are) and after running through it a few time you should have more than a decent understanding of how to work in Gimp. Once you are at this point, I suggest trying some of the others, and also look through some of the WIP threads to pick up addithoinal pointers and tips.

The next best thing you should do is to start a WIP thread yourself as soon as you start working on a map. This is THE best way to improve your abilities and define a style that you feel comfortable with. The C & C you get in these threads are extrordinarily helpfull so don't be shy. You need to remember that EVERYONE of us started mapping at the same point of knowledge as where you are right now. Some of us (not me though, I am still learning.....head like rock) learned the trade right here. Even some of the pros.....

If you have been here for a while, you know what we have to offer...so dive right in ;-)

and welcome to the Guild, the mappiest Place on the Web
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent