Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Circle of the World

Well, what can i say. Another Diamond, enough said! Love it, man. And if you ever make up more world-fluff, I'd really like to read it. And maybe you could do a follow-up map of the uncivilized world for good measure
    Have some rep (if i can)!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

That looks great, very inspiring. You say you used real-world data - where does the topography come from?

My only criticism is I'm not sure what the gridlines mean? Since they all converge at the centre that makes it look as if it's a north or south pole, but apparently north is the top. I'm not sure it makes any sense as a compass rose either. What kind of projection is this meant to be?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thanks, all. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by razcor View Post
    One small detail: if the word "medius" is Latin and not a imaginative word, then the correct declension is "medium", "medium sea" or better "mare medium", because sea (mare, maris in Latin) is a neuter nuon.
    It's supposed to suggest medium or middle in a kind of pseudo-Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
    Just out of curiosity: is this for some writing, or just for fun?
    Just for fun, though I do think it might make a great RPG setting... someday...

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    That looks great, very inspiring. You say you used real-world data - where does the topography come from?

My only criticism is I'm not sure what the gridlines mean? Since they all converge at the centre that makes it look as if it's a north or south pole, but apparently north is the top. I'm not sure it makes any sense as a compass rose either. What kind of projection is this meant to be?
    1. Topography comes from physical maps (one scanned in from an atlas), and others gleaned from NASA/US Topo sites, etc. Sized down, color-corrected, rotated, pieced together.
    2. Not meant to represent any projection, except maybe one invented by the fictional cartographer. The circular grid was more to help tie the whole piece together than to suggest any real-world meaning.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Topography comes from physical maps (one scanned in from an atlas)
    I got that, I just wondered what part of the real world is it? Not telling?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    I got that, I just wondered what part of the real world is it? Not telling?
    Oh, gotcha. The mountains are from eastern Africa and (if I recall correctly, a chunk of the Himalayas), that chunk of desert is from south Africa, and the green grassland areas are from central Russia and the eastern US.

Wow...this is quite impressive, sir.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Excellent Map! Great colors. Nice details.

It looks lovely, but I have to admit the graticule keeps suggesting "north pole" to me, then the Boreal sea pops up, way off from the pole ...

Think of it as the "Central Pole", the middle of the world. If the world is not actually flat, the cartographer's civilization believes that it is. The compass rose covers that spot because it is forbidden to map the sacred island that occupies that spot, traditionally assigned as the home of the gods.

If you don't like that story, use another, like that being the site of the naval battle that established the Tarosian Empire, becoming ever after the central reference point for geography.

Extremely nice!! One thing though when blown up there is some jagged artifacts on the circles edges only . Perhaps from reducing the resolution ?? Or maybe just my old eyes ?? Great piece !!
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast