Thread: I want to muck about with the Earth...

Default I want to muck about with the Earth...

I'm working on an alternate Earth that has higher sea levels, asteroid impact sites, and other assorted erosion and whatnot. I tried Fractal Terrains demo Fractal World Explorer, but it didn't really give me the level of control that I wanted. Should I take some GIS classes, or is there existing software out there that allows you to manipulate real-world data? Thanks.

Edit: Turns out what I had tried was Fractal World Explorer- Fractal Terrains may be exactly what I need. My question still stands: Is there any other software out there that could do this sort of thing, short of a full-on GIS suite?
    Last edited by Barefoot_Blacksmith; 02-22-2012 at 03:17 PM.

What sort of level of control are you looking for?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to mess around with elevation, sea levels, and vegetation density, and render images from space level down to ~300 km areas or so. I'd also like it to make my coffee in the morning, if that's not to much to ask.

FT should be able to do most of those for a high-level view. It's not terribly good at close-range things, but it wasn't intended to be. It's also not a renderer as such.

The coffee-maker module is still experimental at this point.