Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercenary Headquarters

Wip Mercenary Headquarters

I'm currently playing in a Pathfinder game run by my brother. In it our characters have become a mercenary band. Our resident spellslinger decided to purchase the old Merchant's Guild hall and re-purpose it into a Merc's HQ. So with that in mind, and the basic outline defined my the GM I set to work making the hall. All the work was done in Illustrator using various tiles and symbols from across the internet.

First Attempt MercHQ.jpg
    Here is the first draft. Everything, I think, came out fine, but it was too small. So I had went ahead and made the whole building bigger and adding a second floor and basement.

Second Attempt MercHQv2_final.jpg
    Here is the second draft and close to the final version. I'm not sure what else to add. (I'm waiting to get input from the rest of the group, first.) But, I'd also like to hear what the Guild has to say.

Resource Credits
    1. Primarily this uses Torstan's--amazing--tiles and symbols pack.
    2. A number of additional textures come from the Genetica Viewer by Spiral Graphics.
    3. Other sources for symbols include OpenClipArt.org and RPGMapShare.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MercHQ.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	42439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MercHQv2_final.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	42440  

[For some reason, the enlarged jpg files can't be viewed by clicking on them. I have no idea why. They 'save target as' just fine, so I was able to view them.]

Staggering improvement from the first to the second - congratulations.
    Check the bed lengths. The first attempt looked like the beds were about 4 feet long (assuming a 5 foot grid). Real beds are just a little over 6 feet long (and most fantasy 'heroes' seem to be 6 foot or taller.)

I am having a little trouble following where the entrance to the basement is. There appears to be a trap door in the grass in the center courtyard. I am concerned that that will be hard to build and make for a very wet basement. I suggest placing the basement under the square room to the north. [If this is covered in the room descriptions or you have something special in mind, then ignore me.]

I have some trouble seeing where the second floor lines up with the first floor. I think that the stairs on the second floor need to turn the other way (mirror) to align with the stairs on the first floor. I suggest that a fireplace on an upper floor will want support directly below it, so align the first and second floor fireplaces.

All the first floor rooms should probably have stone floors (wood against dirt will rot) and all of the second floor rooms should probably have wood floors (stone floors require lots of support).

I suck at color, but you could probably lighten the grid in the grass for better results - perhaps a darker shade of green than the grass background, but lighter than the current lines.

Have some Rep for a good first project and fantastic progress.

Thanks for the comments! I've spent some time redoing a few things based on your suggestions.

First off, I enlarged the the second floor and set the upstairs fireplace over the downstairs kitchen one. I also replaced the textures to reflect your suggestions upon flooring materials.

Things to Work On:
    - I need to make the basement larger, as it's smaller than the GM intended.
    - Add plant-life and embellishments
    - Add archery targets to training yard
    - Replace basement trapdoor with secret door (Under a statue)
    - Re-scale Furniture

Version 3
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MercHQv3_2.png 
Views:	311 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	42459
    Last edited by BakaPenguin; 02-25-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
    [For some reason, the enlarged jpg files can't be viewed by clicking on them. I have no idea why. They 'save target as' just fine, so I was able to view them.]
    Works for me in Firefox. What is your browser?

-Rob A>

Works in FF here as well. Although, the first image in the post doesn't zoom as much as the second does when you click on it a second time.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Internet Explorer 8.
    I get a big empty window with a small white box and a red X in the upper left corner.

The map in Post #3 opens just fine, though.

Nice map overall, but what is the scale? If the grid is 5' then the furniture is to small (unless this is a building for halflings), if it is 10' then the furniture is a bit to large.
    For example, if the grid is the common 5' then the beds are less than 5ft long and the chairs are 1 ft wide.

This is built on the standard 5' square grid used by D&D/Pathfinder. I'm adding re-scale furniture to my list of things to work on, thanks! I need to improve my ability to work within scale.
    Last edited by BakaPenguin; 02-25-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    (unless this is a building for halflings)
    Interestingly enough, half of the players in this game are halflings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast