Thread: working regional map of much larger map

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default working regional map of much larger map

Here's a close up region where I plan on focusing a storyline. I had originally drawn the entire continent and then tried to detail every nook and cranny, but being short on time, I went ahead and only detailed the overall kingdom and then this portion of one of the duchies. The only thing I'm not satisfied with is the forests' edges. I think I'll end up going back and touching up the shapes, to make them less boring (straight/angled).

But anywho, here it is for your viewing pleasure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REGION MAP.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	42452

I personally always liked this kind of maps ever since I was little (the ones witht his slight textury-3d-feel). So I like this one!
    Unless it is your personal style though, I'd suggest working a little more on the river, it cuts through the map quite harsh (by that I mean it looks very different from the rest).

As for the forests edge: You could try not to fade out the transparency, but rather place individual trees at the edges. If you create a brush for it, it shouldn't take too long either!

Again; good work, I like it.

Cheers,
    Griph

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Perhaps you could try the tree-thing or single tree-flocks or a more random edge for the forests

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Took me a while to realise that those two patches of green along the river are marshes, you might want to make the colour/texture a bit more distinguishable from the forest.

You may not be bothered about the physical geography (I'm a geography nerd when it comes to mapping), but those marshes don't seem plausible to me, because the river flows straight through them, implying a free-draining area. Marshy areas occur on flat ground, with the rivers meandering through them in loops.