Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: April Entry: The Legend of Mata-Gara

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

After rereading some of my research into ciphers... I have found that this is one of the most complicated ciphers that can be done by pencil and pad without computers... so I failed at my attempt to find a 'moderately simple' code... it can however be adapted to a more simple one .... of which I can write if anyone wants to use this ....

If I'm not mistaken the allies used this code system in the second world war for SOE operatives dropped into Europe. If you get a chance, read a book called 'Between Silk and Cyanide' it's written by one of the people who contributed to inventing the cypher...and it's a brilliant read. LOL there was no way on earth I was going to solve that one!

I'll see if I can find the book, I must admit that while cryptology has always been an interesting subject for me.. I never really took the time to study its history and its complexity. In WW1 the germans used it until they found out that the french were breaking their codes within a matter of days.... and in WW2 brit. SOE operatives were using it in the field... by this time tho, I think the germans learned from their mistake, hence the Enigma code...

I should have kept the original single code, but as I said.. when you are sitting on the developing side of the fence, it looks a little easier. It was only after I wrote out the solution that obivious difficulties in deciphering it were apparent.

This is the major difficulty in hand drawn maps (pen & ink especially) is that if you need to change something major ... you have to completely redo the map. But that is what these challenges are all about eh? ... not only did I learn something about history and cryptography but any mistakes that are made can be learned from. (at least, you are supposed to learn from them, sometimes I little slow in getting a point )

Post Because your drawing will be scanned...

When I do hand-drawn maps, I know that the work is going to be digitally scanned before completion. This means that most changes can be easily done.

Areas like contiguous coastline changes are a little tough, but most everything else can be redrawn separately scanned and placed into the original map using GIMP or other image editing software. And still look like it was done in the original rendering.

On the extreme side, if you look at my November challenge entry, although the work is completely hand-drawn. Every mountain face, butte, cactus, structure is a separate map object drawn individually scanned and converted to map objects that can be placed by anyone using my objects to build their map. Yet it looks like it was hand-drawn in a single sheet at one time.

I don't worry about having to totally redraw my map. Think digitally and you'll have more options for your handiwork!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

GP ... That is why I like this site so much... I hadn't even considered drawing seperate pieces and placing them.... I swear sometimes I'm just plain dense, I get so frustrated with it that I don't even consider it an option, ya know... oh well, not being smart has its advantages ... no one expects much if you don't know aanything

thanx gp

Post Another point...

Sometimes - to make things easier to line your new objects with your existing map - I scan and print the area I want to change with the area already digitally erased. That way, I can redraw and insure it matches the surrounding area. I then mask out all to just my redrawn object.

Sometimes I print the area, then use tracing paper, something more translucent so you can see the original print beneath, then redraw to lineup exactly.

It depends on which is easier for you. This way you can insure your line widths match up as well.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

one easy thing about this particular map is that I have multiple sheets of the paper that looks like a scroll, all of which are identical... I can draw what I need in relation to the original and layer them in or otherwise paste them in...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Sometimes I print the area, then use tracing paper, something more translucent so you can see the original print beneath, then redraw to lineup exactly.
    YES! I rediscovered tracing paper when I made my quarry map! Fabulous stuff Everyone should have a pad of it

It is also great to lay a piece of graph paper under to help line things/scale things without worrying the grid will show up in the scan.

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    I hadn't even considered drawing seperate pieces and placing them...
    You got ViewingDale right ? Just create icons out of each bit of scan. One of the things GP didn't make clear is that you can also use twenty of each for no effort. Scan 5 hand drawn mountains in and then like a mixed up set of jigsaw pieces just mix n match and then print the final. Its like going back to pre-school with bits of felt

Awesomely fun map and cypher, the pdf on the code is really slick. Very nifty information. You've got me all fired up to toy around with cryptology now. And yeah that info on scanning individual elements is invaluable. Being able to shift stuff around on the page helps in the creative process so much.
    ~The Odds are Good, but the Goods are Odd.~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12