Thread: *** February/March Challenge - Inversions ***

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default *** February/March Challenge - Inversions ***

This month it's all about turning familiar situations on their head. Other than the theme, the subject matter is wide open.

This could be a map of a landmass the shape of the Mediterranean with the sea of Europe to the north, and the ocean of Africa to the south. It could be map of the dwellings of the earthgliding Xorn that live and move in solid rock, but cannot travel through the open spaces of the dungeon. It could simply be a map of the world where north points to the bottom of the page.

For this challenge - think about what familiar conventions we rely on in maps and mapmaking. Pick one of them and turn it on its head and see what results. Don't be afraid to experiment and try a few things before settling on your map - this is an exercise in challenging the viewers assumptions (and your own).

As always, to enter you must:
    • Start a new thread in this forum with the title February/March Lite Challenge Entry - <name of entry>
    • Attach any work in progress images to your posts using the forum Attachment Manager
    • Use the tag ### Latest WIP ### before any image you post so that the thumbnail manager can pick it up.

The challenge will end on the 15th of March, and the winner will receive a silver lite compass. Good luck!

You can find the current thumbnails of the maps in progress here:

Wow torstan. I've been doing regular challenges and just found out about the lite ones. This sounds like so much fun. Count me in!

This is pretty sweet... It inspires thought, and leaves a world of possibilities... Good Job!

Its a pretty good challgenge, My intention was to make a thread for this one but I cant get any "original" idea =/

Good luck for those who will

Just a reminder, this challenge will close tomorrow. Make sure to get your entries in on time.

I wanted to do another one this month but never found the time to accomplish more than daydreams
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I'm planning to close this challenge in about 4 hours. If you have any last minute adjustments, now is the time to get them in!