Thread: The Island Kives - From Hand-drawn to GIMP

Guild Apprentice

Wip The Island Kives - From Hand-drawn to GIMP

Hi,
    so since this is my first bigger project in a longer time and the first one in GIMP (aside from the one following RobAs tutorial), i thought i'd post it here and maybe get some comments, critic and tips. Especially for the mountains, they are driving me nuts at the moment...

So, first step: My old hand drawn map.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inselkönigreiche3.jpg 
Views:	3397 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	42475

Again I followed the tutorial for the sea, grass and dirt layers. Then i jumped to the other mountain tutorial, i think the look better for a map with a smaller scale. But these mountains seem to do what they want...
    First try: Looks like someone trodd on the mountains and stamped them into the ground. Not so good. And the rim is nearly as high as the peak...

Name:	Gebirge1.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	42477

Unfortunaltely i already deleted the layers from the second and third try. They look a bit like the first one, and were awful.
    Fourth try: I downloded that Felimage-Plugin and tried it with that. Turned out a bit better, but i still don't like it. The mountains are too big. And are cut through by the fjords.

Name:	gebirge2.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	42478

Fifth Try: Now i cut out the fjords from the selection before, and took a smaller noise. Worked best so far, i'm quite pleased how it works with the shoreline, but the landside edge is still not very nice to look at...

Name:	Gebirge3.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	42479

And a complete map of the island so far:

Name:	Versuch KivesUNFERTIG.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	42476

Now i'm off for a weekend of real-life mountain studies... perhaps that'll help.

Thanks for any comments and tips on my mountain problem...
    Have a nice weekend!
    Conversation at university while writing our group report:
    "I'll make a map." - "We don't need a map, we only interviewed some people." - " I know, but it won't stop me from making one."

Guild Apprentice

Next take on the mountains:
    I completely deleted all previous mountains and redid both of them, plus the southern one.

Name:	Berge2.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	42676
    The southern and eastern ones turned out pretty well, but the westen one ist still not what i'm trying to get...
    The problem is, there are a coulpe of rivers supposed to run from a higer ridge on the eastern edge of the mountains through valleys into the fjord system. So i can't do it like i did with the southern one, or the rivers will cut through a whole ridge later... -.-

Enough for today, i'll probably try a bit more tomorrow.
    "I'll make a map." - "We don't need a map, we only interviewed some people." - " I know, but it won't stop me from making one."

Guild Apprentice

Played a bit with the rest of the mountains and the hill lands around them.

Name:	Hills.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	43334

Hills were done the same way as the mountains, following the tutorial, but with a gradient map from brown to darker brown with low opacity between the two embossed layers.

I think i'll consider this step done, finally.