Thread: City of Kasai, hand-drawn map

Default City of Kasai, hand-drawn map

This is the map discussed in this thread from the General Forum... Possible Freelance Gig for Paizo

Here's the long awaited map design I did as a commission to Paizo Publishing for the last (#6) adventure book for the Jade Regent
    Adventure Path (Paizo's cross the top of the world and visit Japanland campaign). The map below is entirely hand-drawn with pen onto tracing paper, the full map measures 36" x 48", drawn on 4 separate 18" x 24" sheets, then digitally scanned and composited together as a single map. A special note, there are over 8500 buildings in this map, in an effort to create a city of approximately 90,000 people. The total map took me 12 hours of hand-drawing to complete, 8 hours one Sunday, and 4 hours on the following Monday. Since another cartographer was going to finish the map, I didn't need to create any color elements - this is just the hand-drawing only.

Note, I did not create the final published map, as Paizo needs consistency in design with the various maps in the AP, so their own inhouse cartographer did the final version. But with the printed product in my hands, I can tell that he didn't add anything or remove anything, rather created his final full color map based on the exact details I created by hand.

I was invited to create the city map design and help in the writing of the gazetteer for the City of Kasai, capital of Empire of Minkai for Paizo, through Steven Russell of Rite Publishing (whom I publish my Kaidan setting and supplements through) who was asked to help design some monsters for the previous adventure booklet for the Jade Regent AP. Steven was asked to provide a city map, which he admitted as not having the skill to do. Since I do all the map for my Kaidan setting, which is also Japanese based, and as a staff member of Rite Publishing was Steve's best choice for this job.

Finally, F. Wesley Schneider the Managing Editor at Paizo Publishing worked with me directly in the getting the specifics on what Paizo needed, as well as provided critiques based on the progress of each phase of this map. Before the commission was complete, the staff at Paizo was so pleased with the work done at the time, that they increased my commission by $100, over what they originally offered.

Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kasai-hand.jpg 
Views:	4373 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	42494
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-24-2012 at 04:31 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Great work! Congrats on the Bonus.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's a monster map! Beautifully done, and well done on the commission work. Is there a link we can check out for the finished map? I'd love to see it.

Well, I can't specifically find a Paizo approved public version of this map, yet. Paizo also offers a Jade Regent Map Folio that includes a 22" x 34" fold-out map of this City of Kasai map in full color.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

I see I missed a section of the city map when I exported it. The square lake like thing in the canals between the river and the stream - that's a missing piece. Here's the whole map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kasai-hand.jpg 
Views:	2307 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	42501
    DrivethruRPG store

Wow man, that's a lot of squares...I bet you dreamed of them that night, LOL. Great job and it really does give the impression of a big city.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Impressive, impressive!

Blog Entries

That's a beautiful city map, GP. Love it.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I really enjoyed looking at this one. Thanks, and great work.