Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One map, Three CIties

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    phlegethon

Default One map, Three CIties

I would be using this map as reference for D&D.

Subject:
    This would be a map of three cities that, over time, melted into one. Zida is the oldest of the cities, then Laneh, then Yoren.

Zida-
    Zida is characterized by its broken down walls, many arches, and rambling roads. In it is a huge university, and a slightly larger palace. The palace should be located by a wall. Zida is broken into four districts: the slums, the markets, the palace (which includes many mansions around it.), and the university.

Laneh-
    Laneh is a very rigid city. The roads are arragnged in a grid pattern. In the center of the city is the federal district, which has numerous government buildings, plus a castle (not a palace, more of a fort). Around the federal district is a very small area of shops. Other than the federal district, Laneh is very poor, and is mostly slums.

Yoren-
    Yoren is a port city. As such, it has no walls, many docks, and no palace to speak of. The city fades from fairly reputable on the outside, to crime-ridden near the docks. Near the docks should be at least one tavern, though more would be preferrable. It should be mostly laid out in a grid pattern, with a lot of nooks and crannies. Near the outside, closer to Laneh than to Zida, should be a small school.

The area inbetween-
    The area inbetween should ramble. Any major roads would probably continue, though minor roads would dead-end. Mostly, this area is filled with houses and shops.

The cities are laid out like this:
    Zida Laneh
    Yoren

A rough sketch of the coast. The scale is 50 miles per inch. Anywhere on the coast is acceptable, though near the middle would be preferrable. The cities should be 5-9 miles in radius.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coast.gif 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.9 KB 
ID:	42481

Style:
    I am looking for a basic street map, and could care less about detail. But, so long as it's comprehensible, I'll accept anything.

Quality:
    Again, so long as it's comprehensible, I'll accept anything in the following formats: gif, jpg, png, xcf, tiff.

Deadline:
    No deadline. I've only just started writing the campaign. I should be finished by late June/ early July.

Copyright:
    The cartographer keeps copyright, but I get reproduction rights.

Contact details:
    Contact villa elisa9 AT gmail.com.

Thanks!

phlegethon

Default One map, Three CIties

I would use this map for a D&D campaign I am working on.

Subject-
    The subject would be a map of three cities that have grown out to become one city. The three cities names are: Zida, Laveh, and Yoren.

Zida-
    ZIda is a city of broken-down walls and elaborate arches. The oldest of the cities, it wasn't exactly planned, so the roads rambles. It has nothing resembling a comprehensible road layout. There are four distinct districts: the slums, the markets, the university, and the palace. The palace district has mansions of many wealthy people and is located near an outer wall that hasn't broken down.

Laveh-
    Laveh is a port town, and as such, it has many docks. The crime rate is strongest near these docks, with the taverns and brothels and whatnot, but it fades to near respectability on the fringes. On these fringes, it has a school and a couple of government buildings. The layout is like what you'd see in many cities; a grid pattern adapted to whatever was there before hand.

Yoren-
    Yoren is a rigidly laid out town. The city was designed to be a perfect grid pattern. In the center, slightly to the east, actually, is the federal district. On the edge of the federal district are a few reputable shops, the only of the sort in the city. In the center of the federal district is the castle, which is more of a fort than a palace. Other than the shops and the federal district, most of the city is poor and live in slums.

In between the cities-
    In between the cities, the layout just rambles. Any major roads keep on going, but minor roads generally dead-end. Mostly in here it is houses and shops.

Style-
    All I need is a road map. Anything else is great, so long as it is comprehensible.

Quality & Size-
    Again, anything is great, so long as it's comprehensible and in the following formats: gif, jpg, png, tiff, xcf.

Deadline-
    Think along the lines of late June/early July. I've just started writing the campaign.

Copyright-
    Copyright remains with the artist, though I would like reproduction rights.

Contact-
    Contact villaelisa9 AT gmail.com

Thanks!

Something that would help the potential mapper is an approximation of the technological level of the city civilization, the culture (for the map style) and a few doodads like that. When you mention schools, universities, grids, federal buildings - it puts in mind of at least a 19th c. civilization. After discovering the Steam Engine, but possibly before Railroads and Medicine ... (too much Civ IV )

Additionally, some demographic information about the cities (population size, density, number of households possessing small fluffy cats, that sort of thing). Geography information would also be good as the shape of cities depends a lot on the landforms than they are built on an around. Are there any rivers to consider, if so, how many and of what size? You say that Laveh is a port town: on what sort of body of water is it situated?

Any specific places and or place names would be of use, as would any information you have about their relative locations. If you want, say, the Temple of The Sacred Lumpfish situated across from Bazaar of the Seven Brothers on either side of Pensive Avenue, it would be go to know this. Relatedly, some example names for places, streets, etc would be most helpful.

Also, Lukc, there's no such thing as too much Civ.

phlegethon

There I go again, forgetting that most people aren't psychic.

Demographics-
    They're all fairly densely populated (Think outskirts of most major cities). Zida attracts more immigrants than the others, and Laveh's population tends to be in flux, as not many people settle there permanently. The total population for all three cities averages out to be 38,318. About two thirds live in Zida, one twelfth in Yoren, and three twelfths in Laveh.

Geography-
    They're situated on a coastal plain near a wide, but shallow river. The river winds south-east, almost completely avoiding the cities.

Culture-
    The technological level is around the 18th century (Guns, but not good ones. Medicine, not really. No steam engine. Etcetera.) The culture is mostly English, but has hints of many other cultures. But mostly English.

Place Names-
    Acceptable names would be: dzon, horuzh, norov, dizev, nihah, etc. Contact me if you need any more.

I am interested in seeing what I can do with this. I've never really done much in the way of commissioned maps and all, so there is that to consider on your part and you may prefer a different person to take this. This is an example of the style in which I generally do cities: Orothos. I can tweak it of course, change color schemes, do it in a limited scheme (grey-scale, browns, etc), but I think it works well for a road plan type of thing.

I do have a few more questions, musings, etc.

I have an impression that Zida was the old original city and that Laveh was its historic port city (a bit like Athens and Piraeus. Would you be wanting something like the Long Walls at all?) and then that Yoren was built some time after, possibly in a fit of urban planning for a new capitol and so forth. Am I getting a correct sense of things from this?

You say you're going for an 18th century feel here and that there are guns (and cannon I assume?) would you be wanting earthworks of the sort meant to defend against cannon and the like? Revelins and so on?

phlegethon

Sular, your style works well for what I had in mind. Thanks! On the info, now. Zida is removed from the coast, but only by about seven miles. Laveh was its port city, historically. They didn't have the Long Walls (They never thought that far ahead.). So, mostly correct. There aren't any earthworks, because war doesn't really venture up there. (These cities are pretty far in the empire.)

Well then, I'd like to give this a try. Do you mind if I post a WIP thread here on the forum for critique, ideas, feedback and so on?

phlegethon

No, I don't mind. Then this commision should be marked as taken, correct?

Indeed.

If you have any additional details you'd like me to work off of, please let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast