Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 20] Riverlands

Quote Originally Posted by Airith View Post
    Hmm, do you know where I can get some symbols for that? Mostly I just want some city symbols, but really I only have found one so far. That goes for anyone who knows where to get some city, or similar, symbols. PLEASE
    Have you checked out the symbol fonts in these threads:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=346
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=743

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Apparently they're all CC2 symbols, or just Profantasy related ones, and I cannot figure out how to use them? Since it does say free I'm guessing I just can't figure out this 'View' program
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    AFAIK, most of them are ttf fonts (like wingdings). Just use them as text once installed into your system.

-Rob A>
    They're all .FSC files. Which is used by CC... But not the Viewer? I'm guessing I'll have to have that program to use them.

edit: I guess it's 'free' for CC2/3 users, which I guess I can respect. Now, any other symbols one might know about?
    Last edited by Airith; 04-08-2008 at 10:30 PM.

I thought I'd finally post an update of my redo. I quite like it, although this lack of symbols is stalling me a lot. I like and dislike how the forests turned out, I decided to follow the dirt a bit, that's why it's so broken up, although I liked that. Just that some parts stick up and look like clay or something.

Does the southern mountains look different from the northern ones? (divided by Torenir) It's just something that's been irking me for a while.

I can't make the current text more readable because I'm missing some of it still, sorry.

edit: Also, how does one go about connecting rivers to oceans? Although I only have one spot, it was just a 'meeting.'
    (Sorry about the double post)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP20Airith.jpg 
Views:	1211 
Size:	586.5 KB 
ID:	3038  
    Last edited by Airith; 04-16-2008 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Very disconnected writing...

I think thats a great improvement Airith. Well done. Your progress is obvious and you seem to absorb new techniques and advice very quickly and effectively. Keep it up. I like the rivers and the settlements along them. I'm not sure about the rather heavy noise at the edges of the landforms. You may want to experiment with a bit more blur and a bit less noise.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

I agree. I really like the look of what you have done so far. A thing of beauty it is.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I thought I'd finally post an update of my redo. I quite like it, although this lack of symbols is stalling me a lot. I like and dislike how the forests turned out, I decided to follow the dirt a bit, that's why it's so broken up, although I liked that. Just that some parts stick up and look like clay or something.

Does the southern mountains look different from the northern ones? (divided by Torenir) It's just something that's been irking me for a while.

I can't make the current text more readable because I'm missing some of it still, sorry.

edit: Also, how does one go about connecting rivers to oceans? Although I only have one spot, it was just a 'meeting.'
    (Sorry about the double post)
    With the connecting rivers to oceans I either: use the eraser to make the rivers (with the oceans as an underlying layer to the land) - having your coast outline on a separate layer or saved as a selection is a must unless you're going to try and paint it like you were on canvas,

or

I put the rivers on another layer in the same colour as the oceans. This has the advantage of making the rivers more easily adjustable but the downside is that if you want to stroke the rivers with a black outline, you need to use the eraser to get rid of the black lines around the river mouth. (This is what I ended up doing with my map on this project)

Your river and ocean are different colours, so you need to think about what happens when they meet (or make them the same colour). You could use a low opacity brush to merge the colours, or reflect the shallowness of the water to make the ocean around the coast the same colour as the river and then make the hard distinction into the ocean further into the sea, so it looks like a bathyscape contour.

They're all .FSC files. Which is used by CC... But not the Viewer? I'm guessing I'll have to have that program to use them.
    Most of the catalogues in the first link are CC2/3 format, but the second link has several wingding fonts suitable for mapping. Start with this post: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...91&postcount=8

I've used symbols from a couple of the Wingding fonts that come with Windows on at least one map.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 04-10-2008 at 07:54 PM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I looked through almost all of them, and none of them really caught my eye. There were a few sites I didn't look over too well, but it was mostly it just wasn't the type I was looking for. (I'm picky )

I was going to use the symbols from this link http://www.mapsandmore.com/maps/avarion.html that I found after LOTS of searching... I'd have to change the colors/scale and whatnot but it wouldn't fit with my current symbol though. Also I'm just guessing I'm allowed to use it because it's there and in .png Although that doesn't mean too much...

edit: I'm very jittery right now, forgot to eat and was working

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast