Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 20] Riverlands

Here's an update. There's only really names left (and roads), but I'm sure one of you can find something that I've done wrong

I dropped the symbols, it didn't fit in with the rest of the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airith20map.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	471.3 KB 
ID:	3120  
    Last edited by Airith; 04-30-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: roads, WIP
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

We need scales on every map. This may be one of my pet peeves. A person can walk/hike about 20-25 miles in a day. I'm not totally sure, but I think your map is something like 300 miles across. So you would expect a 12 day journey to cross your map. Using a scale ( |----------| 50 miles ) can also help you understand how many settlements should be on your map, how wide your roads and rivers should be, and how large the map symbols might be scaled to.

Anyway, this is an amazing map. It just needs a scale, IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Avulsion View Post
    ...but I think your map is something like 300 miles across.
    I think all the tiles are assumed to be 600miles though its a curved space so the top is shorter than the bottom.

Airith, do you want the tiles for this area here ?

Ok, I have them now but I thought your current map was just fine.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-30-2008 at 07:38 PM.

600 miles? So more like a few weeks to cross the map. Thanks Redrobes.

Blog Entries

Yes, I too have been looking up travel rates and I get a lower figure than you. I am working on a person doing 12 miles per day as part of a merchant train. Looking at professional or very serious walkers they do up to 40 miles per day. A normal person is more like 18 on a good day so assuming that you have carts, mules, wagons maybe I think much less than 18. If the terrain is bad then it can easily half or maybe third that.

If an area has no monsters or much dangers then I would think that you would get little hamlets at about day intervals along a route. If there are dangers then this is very unlikely as a single house would be sacked.

The assumption on my area is that merchants only travel in larger groups. Maybe 30 or so but also have about 12 skilled henchmen. If the goods were more expensive then the ratio might be 1:1.

So that makes for expensive travel and as such goods carried great distances and over difficult or dangerous terrain are going to be that much more expensive than local produce. It might mean that certain goods are not worth taking. Heavy cheap stuff might be considered unprofitable. That for me is an issue as one thing my sector is short on is grain. Its probable that it would be milled first and brought in as flour at a minimum. I might introduce a flour tax to subsidize the merchant pricing for such a required item.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Yes, I too have been looking up travel rates and I get a lower figure than you. I am working on a person doing 12 miles per day as part of a merchant train. Looking at professional or very serious walkers they do up to 40 miles per day. A normal person is more like 18 on a good day so assuming that you have carts, mules, wagons maybe I think much less than 18. If the terrain is bad then it can easily half or maybe third that.

If an area has no monsters or much dangers then I would think that you would get little hamlets at about day intervals along a route. If there are dangers then this is very unlikely as a single house would be sacked.
    Yes! I think this needs to be read by everyone that is helping map. I can understand that including/excluding a scale is partly artistic license, but they are sure helpful to both mapmaker and reader.

I hope it wasn't too much of a hassle to you, redrobes, I'm just thinking of redoing the map and wanted to see how much I'd need to change.

I added some scale I just messed around with for a while, just to say I have one. Other then that, some minor tweaks and the major city names. I still have to do roads though...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Airith20map.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	477.5 KB 
ID:	3386  

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Speaking from personal experience in walking the Ridgeway in Wiltshire, it took two of us travelling light, 8 hours to walk about 24 miles from Avebury to the Wayland Smithy - it's a lovely walk and highly recommended - but we were pretty exhausted by the end of it. I think something like 15 miles a day would be more do-able. But then we are unfit towny types and not strapping adventurers!

Name:	ridgway.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	3389  

Blog Entries

Its better to take people who travel very long distances and divide it by the number of days they did it over. The problem of one days trek is that it does not account for continuous tiredness and changes in weather. You might lose a few days due to torrential rains or other similar factors. I have no idea how having a caravan of stuff like mules and carts affect the rate tho.
    Tis a lovely area that. The vale of Pewsey and Alton Barnes is real spectacular.

I'm still alive! Here's the final version of the map. It's finally done. I don't like some of my roads that much though. Well... I still need to name it... No luck there yet. Oh and thanks to Torq for doing one of my cities

Name:	Airith20done.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	482.7 KB 
ID:	4307  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast