Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [Region 1][Map 20] Riverlands

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Overall I like the forest, it looks like it was based on a pine forest (kinda triangular shaped trees) but it looks like some of em are upside down on the top half of this section...could just be me tho...but as I said, overall, I dig em.

I think it looks very nice in the thumbnail and reduced size in my browser, but not so good at full resolution. So if you simply shrink it before applying it to the map, it'll be perfect.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    Might want to change that to orcs...
    Done
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I think they look really good, better than any I've mangled (err manged) so far. How did you create them?
    That will require me to know how I created them. Yeah I pretty much have like 8 layers that aren't even being used in there... Will go check. Ok I think I've remembered most of it, just took a tree brush, made the general shape of my image (with jitter/spacing), left some blank spots as well. Then blurred and noise spread. Rendered plasma desaturated and overlayed. Changed the brightness/contrast a bit. Rendered noise overlayed. I also played with the colors of the tree layer to get the green I wanted. Bump mapped the noise and plasma (gray+overlay) and then bump mapped the trees (max depth/elevation). More playing with contrast/brightness/colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Overall I like the forest, it looks like it was based on a pine forest (kinda triangular shaped trees) but it looks like some of em are upside down on the top half of this section...could just be me tho...but as I said, overall, I dig em.
    Winner! That is how I made them, but since it's not an angle view, I wanted it to look more rounder, guess it didn't work on you...

Ok, I redid what I remembered, and couldn't actually remember the entire process. So... Here's a new one I think I like the first one better. edit: Also added the old image+the suggestions, but I can't make it again so I don't know why
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redoneforest.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	5605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foresttrysagainposted.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	5606  
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

The newer version looks better, to me at least...less...angular is what I'm thinking. The original style would be cool for a realistic style ISO map, which is a cool idea too...hrmmmm. But this new one looks better in that it seems, I dunno, more functional. Anywho, good job.

I'm only going to come up with more names if someone wants to map one of the remaining dots, or they could even come up with their own. Added the new forest, I think I like it. Tried naming the rivers, didn't turn out too well though. Started to think that it looks too cluttered, but hopefully it isn't too bad either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	startof20.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	557.3 KB 
ID:	7367  
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

I think it looks pretty good but if you think it looks cluttered then reduce the font size and see what you think.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345