Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 20] Riverlands

I like your map in general, especially your plains & mountains, and the font you used for the names (???).

I agree with you that your road look funny or fishy: they look more like country border then road. Maybe try doing them larger and browner and give them a little bit of effect (either shadow or emboss or ...).

I don't really like your forest; they seem to be missing something (I can't tell you since I don't like mine either ). Maybe put some shade effect on them, cause they look too similar and perfect.

Take care,

Alu.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

So... you have just one river coming through Mythkhardia then.... oh..wait..that's two.. is that one .. coming or going?? lol

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Airith View Post
    Well... I still need to name it... No luck there yet.
    Well, I am gonna guess that it's all one nation/empire/political entity. So if your capital is "Kir' Thaen" maybe the region should be named something similar?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard339 View Post
    I like your map in general, especially your plains & mountains, and the font you used for the names (???).

I agree with you that your road look funny or fishy: they look more like country border then road. Maybe try doing them larger and browner and give them a little bit of effect (either shadow or emboss or ...).

I don't really like your forest; they seem to be missing something (I can't tell you since I don't like mine either ). Maybe put some shade effect on them, cause they look too similar and perfect.
    American-Uncial-Normal and Valhalla (font). The Plaguelands/Gravehelm ones I can't remember though. I'll probably just keep the roads, touch them up in the future maybe. Ya, the forests were definitely the hardest part, using Roba's tutorial, I had to mess around so it wasn't just green mountains. Again maybe in the future
    Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    So... you have just one river coming through Mythkhardia then.... oh..wait..that's two.. is that one .. coming or going?? lol
    The North two come together I think. All of the rivers on my map are from NK's ft generated thing or something. I can change it if you'd like though. The south one is flowing west. North one goes east.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Well, I am gonna guess that it's all one nation/empire/political entity. So if your capital is "Kir' Thaen" maybe the region should be named something similar?
    I was thinking a description over an actual name, the three houses (Tor, Kor, and Tir) were the riverlands rulers for hundreds of years before the Vetaran came and established Kir'Thaen and began overtaking the lands. (I hope this is ok with Venardhi) I guess I should just ask people for suggestions, I still haven't came up with a name yet.
    Last edited by Airith; 07-22-2008 at 04:15 PM.
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Hate to double post, but I'd like some help coming up with a name. I was thinking that since rivers are a big part of the map, that I would name it around them. Either 'something' riverlands, or the 'something' salt marshes (term I found: 'The land is divided by large number of marshes and rivers.' <-- I got this from the AoE2:exp description, and would like to know if this is correct, I did some research into it, but I don't know).

I've got about a page, I think, of lore written out here, but I need to go over it a few thousand times to see if I really like it xD

edit: Can someone change the title to [Region 1][Map 20] Riverlands, I hate the word unknown in there xD
    Last edited by Airith; 07-23-2008 at 01:51 AM. Reason: name change plz

Either 'something' riverlands, or the 'something' salt marshes
    I think either of those would work, now for the first part... Here are a list of some names I had used on some old paper maps; take one if you like any of them;

Estonar, Avenor, Vhenlar, Omiroth, Rhazauul, Cularien, Elryz, Tayjan, Tuurgaar, Skabskrath, Urgok, Kurth, Ezellhar, Vinyamar, Karthak

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Riverlands will have to do for now (could someone please change that? post#35). Here's some info, don't know how to put it in the cwbp though:

Denizens
    The people who dwell in the <area>Riverlands are not collectively termed as one people. Rather, depending on which royal house you descend from, dictates you are Korcor, Torren, or Tiric. An individual would be a Korc, Torrn, or Tirj. The people of the <area>Riverlands are a mostly human people, and, other than the rumors of Dwarven blood flowing in the veins of the Torren people, the variation is quite lacking. A large clan of Orcs, living south of Tirylus, seems to live only to plague the southwestern border. It is generally expected among the denizens of the <area>Riverlands to ignore other cultures outside of the <area>Riverlands. Although anyone is allowed to pass through, the neighbors (mostly to the west) are some dots on a foreigners map.
    Fluff
    Hoslahant – An alarming, possibly tamable, animal, that seems to be a cross between a destrier and an undersized elephant.
    Current Capital
    The city of Kir'Thaen, [cur thay-n] is situated upon the shores of the northern side of <place>peninsula, and the island just north of it. Created, by the Vetaran, to oversee the <area>Riverlands, it included one letter of each royal house’s names. Immediate dislike for this convention arose, as each royal house wanted it to be named after them. This was settled by the then Governor’s decision to not care. Although assassinated after this decision, many call it a mere coincidence. Now a splendid port city; many cultures, religions, and people mingle everyday beneath its walls, and above its piers.
    Significant Settlements
    Torathael [tor-ay-thay-le] is currently the largest city of the <area>Riverlands, and the biggest internal trading centre.
    This marker once stood for the only known Dwarven settlement, and used to be the human’s access to Dwarven goods. Nowadays, it is considered a ghost town, for no word has escaped from the mountain reaches since the plague erupted far to the north. The current rumors, give the place its name: “An out-of-the-way village far north of Tiratheis, had a guest. Covered in strange wounds, half-made bandages, and a stained dagger grasped in his hand, he crawled to the town well and collapsed. The villagers could not glean anything from his mad ramblings, but his howls while he fitfully slept told all: ‘Hold them back! Lest this be known as Gravehelm!’
    Trade
    Nearly all trading, whether importing, exporting, or just between themselves, is done on the <river>river. Usually shipped from there by foreign fleets.

edit: Anyone think this would be any good for replacing my forests? I've finally decided to replace 'em.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foresttrysagainposted.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	5463  
    Last edited by Airith; 07-26-2008 at 04:03 AM.

Denizens
    A large band of Gnolls, living south of Tirylus, seem to live only to plague the southwestern border. It is generally expected among the denizens of the <area>Riverlands to ignore other cultures outside of the <area>Riverlands. Although anyone is allowed to pass through, the neighbors (mostly to the west) are some dots on a foreigners map.
    Might want to change that to orcs, as that's who currently has control of the Bloodspires to the south of you. Their ongoing war with the goblinoids, and possibly other savage races, may occasionally spill over into your area, but will probably be contained mainly in Qwinyon Shai and west through Griznog's Pass.

The gnolls are a bit farther south in my map in the Laughing Hills. Unless, of course, you want gnolls in your area on top of all that, in which case you can toss everything I just said.

edit: Anyone think this would be any good for replacing my forests? I've finally decided to replace 'em.
    I think they look really good, better than any I've mangled (err manged) so far. How did you create them?

Looks pretty good, if a bit fuzzy for my tastes. Looks like you have a bit to much spread going on. Perhaps just a 1-2 px G Blur? You might even want to think about "trying" a bump map on a grey layer set to overlay after the blur. This might get the color variations to create more of a sculpted feel without going overboard...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast