Thread: Testing out cartography

Map Testing out cartography

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world-map-test.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	42498

Hello,

My first attempt making a map and testing out map elements.

Any suggestions or otherwise welcome, especially ideas for representations of desert, swamp, and roads.

Thanks.
    Last edited by battlestar; 02-24-2012 at 06:21 PM.

I like the coastline style you're developing in the upper left. I think you should maybe start at a higher resolution, as the trees and swamp symbols seem oversized for this size a map. Then again, I've seen some antique maps that look just like that, so maybe not. Are you creating your own symbols or gathering them from elsewhere? The line qualities are quite variable. I think you should shoot for a line weight that's similar to the surf line on your coast and the rivers in the left-hand part of the map. As it stands now, most of the mountains appear blurry and indistinct. And perhaps a bit too small when placed alongside those trees.

I like the way you're heading with this. It reminds me a bit of some maps I've seen from… I think maybe the 15th century. I don't recall for sure.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Looking pretty snazzy, especially for a first attempt. I especially like your use of clouds around the mountain peaks, it definitely adds some visual interest to the style. However, I do agree with Midgardsormr that your line weights are inconsistent, which may be part of the reason that the scale seems off between the elements, but I'm not necessarily one to judge, due to the fact that I'm pretty new to this myself.