Thread: CartographyGuild Wiki?

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Default CartographyGuild Wiki?

I had just the idea in mind to ask about a wiki for CG. Something collecting infornations about maps and mapping. Storing important ressources, hints, tricks, discussions and so on. Styleguides for different softwares or themes? I personally had a hard time of finding material, and some index would be graet.

Ah, and a boardintern cartography guilds yearbook with the feature maps, challange winners and awarded tuts, would be splendid, if ever someone would like to gather those informations. Like a nice PDF or so.

Blog Entries

Brilliant idea.

So good in fact that we used to have one.

It got spammed to death so it was taken offline.

So why dont restrict access to a editorial team? An all read but editable only by admins?

I am sorry if your answer were meant sarcastic, it sounded so for me. Did i said anything stupid?

Blog Entries

No not sarcastic and totally not stupid. It really is a good idea. But we have had a lot of issues. In terms of editors we have a few guys here who make some of the best tutorials into PDFs and stuff like that so in effect they are taking the place of a wiki.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If we were to do a wiki, it would definitely be a closed wiki...and we'd have to have a dedicated editorial team for sure. It would require some effort, and it would also separate the content from the current content management system, which is tied into search. If anything, I'd like to consider taking the best content and making CMS content out of, or even a vbulletin blog. We'll toss it around amongst the CL's and see what comes of it.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I only would like a table of Content or some register, it doesnt have to be a wiki.

Blog Entries

Theres a few lists of stuff. One is the keyword index which is listed under the quick links. The other one I was thinking of is the sticky post at the top of the tutorial forum where Vandy has made PDFs out of many of the tutorials.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...-in-PDF-Format

In some respects, this is a forum where the posts are arranged in most recently posted order but some of the best material gets lost. The keyword index was one of my attempts at arranging the posts in another format. I think it might be well out of date now tho. We have the tags system too but that came in several years after the site was running. You can always add tags to a topic but searching on a tag is sometimes useful.

For challenge winners there is a list of them too which I think is still stuck on the challenges forum. I used to run a challenge entry thumbnails system but I think its been overtaken now with a better system which automatically uses the forum attachments.

EDIT - y'know many of these links should be on the quick links menu item. If the keyword index is there then why not some more ? Can RobA add these ?

There is also the finished map thumbnails as well where you can browse the finished maps by member. We have no way of listing them by map type or map style tho. Those links should also be stickied at the tops of the relevant forums.

We have a CWBP places list and we used to have a CWBP image map of the area of Ansium which linked to the threads for the areas. I dont think that one is still available tho. But the place index is.

My sig has some of these links in it since I like to get to them as well. Certainly I think a wiki is the better option tho.

If a Wiki can be protected and run by a editorialteam, it could work-out.
    Some Elements are realy nice and a shame to be lost, like the Text-PDF about the placing of names on maps and so on.

On the flip side, there are many "old timers" here, and when a question gets asked in the "How do I?" forum, if there are existing tutorials then the pointers are made.

-Rob A>