Thread: The Shadowlands

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default The Shadowlands

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SaemyyrFinalWebPreview.jpg 
Views:	1353 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	42572

I've finally finished up the last polishes on this epic world map for the world of Sæmyyr for the Pathfinder Roleplaying game, created by Blackstar Studios. I'm dead chuffed with how it came out in the end. This was a development beyond what I'd been comfortable with for my satellite hand drawn style and really pushed that forward. I'm particularly pleased with how the mountains came out.

You should check out the Shadowlands on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BlackStarGames There's even an easter egg hidden in the ocean for those who look really closely!

This is a commission piece so it's rights reserved.

Congratulations T, this is a fantastic piece of work. One of my favorites. Repped and rated.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Very nice Torstan - I can never find those easter eggs either!! Perhaps because I see way to many things in everything. It's like asking me to look at a cloud and tell you what I see...the list just goes on and on and on. I did see some kind of a formula though.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 02-26-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Awesome work, Torstan. I already liked the unfinished version a lot. Too bad (for me) that the Kickstarter was not at all interesting to me. The offered little part of the setting combined with the game system of their choice just didn't do anything for me. If they ever publish a world-book (plus points if it will be system-less), i'll be all over it.
    Have some rep (if i can)!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of the font used for the country names but other than that, fantastic map as usual, Jon.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Looks great, T!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thanks guys!

@Jaxilon - the equation is the easter egg - so you found this one. It refers to a secret about the design of the game world and ties into some of the map decorations.

@Eilathen - no worries about the Kickstarter - it was well and truly funded, and they'll certainly be producing a setting book. A certain amount of that will have system specific crunch as this is a Pathfinder setting, but there's a hell of a lot of mythology and non system specific content in there too.

@Ramah - it was the best Arabic-esque font I could find that the publishers also liked. There seems to be a dearth of decent Arabic script hands with a roman alphabet, and my handwriting is not up to the standard where I'd want to try it from scratch

@arsheesh, GP - thanks!

Samarkand from Acidfonts.com is my favorite Arabic font...

Name:	samarkand.png 
Views:	284 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	42599
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Samarkand from Acidfonts.com is my favorite Arabic font...

Name:	samarkand.png 
Views:	284 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	42599
    That looks like it's supposed to be Devanagari, not Arabic. They don't actually look anything alike and the people who use them are not at all likely to take kindly to being confused.* It should really have been named after a city in say India or Nepal, not Uzbekistan. Admitedly the "stan" in Uzbekistan indicates some link to ancient Sanskrit, but it's not a city I'd associate with a modern Indic writing system.

Great map Torstan, Love the overall look & feel!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast