Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] World of Flammarion: The Known World

This looks certainly better than the previous image, especially mountains. I'm not so sure about the coastline though, it looks too sharp to me now, I can see individual pixels and it irritates me. Sorry for not being satisfied, I'don't know, maybe it's just me, but if I were you I would soften the coastline a bit... Not much, just a little, to make the lines smoother. I think that the softness of the previous coastline was annoying mainly due to its thickness.

Good luck with the rest of mountaineering! Love the term btw.

I like the style of the map. Not sure of your influence but it has the look of the venerable Old World map from Warhammer FRP. I'm currently looking at it in my iPad and the details looked blurred. I'll have to look back when I get in front of my desktop.

Nice start

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    This looks certainly better than the previous image, especially mountains. I'm not so sure about the coastline though, it looks too sharp to me now, I can see individual pixels and it irritates me. Sorry for not being satisfied, I'don't know, maybe it's just me, but if I were you I would soften the coastline a bit... Not much, just a little, to make the lines smoother. I think that the softness of the previous coastline was annoying mainly due to its thickness.

Good luck with the rest of mountaineering! Love the term btw.
    Hm, you are correct. I didn't notice the pixels last night, but they are quite clear today. I'll try with a slightly thicker stroke when I get back home. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by necrominog View Post
    I like the style of the map. Not sure of your influence but it has the look of the venerable Old World map from Warhammer FRP. I'm currently looking at it in my iPad and the details looked blurred. I'll have to look back when I get in front of my desktop.

Nice start
    Indeed! While I'm not exactly using the old WHF map as a base directly, that particular piece of work has been ingrained in my memory as one of my all-time favourites ever since I first saw it many years ago. Pretty much every map I have made since has had some kind of influence, particularly when it comes to the colours involved.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I'll echo what the above posters said; the style of the map is very appealing. The layered glow around the continents, the subtle texture backgrounds on both sea and land, and the simplicity of uniform color are all great touches. I can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Got me some work done in that there 'ere. Figured I'd take the oportunity to add lakes and experiment with rivers too, as well as trying to find a better balance with the edges. Hope it be more pleasin' to the eye now!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flammarion - Imperio v4.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	46019

Speaking of cows, I'm on a pondersome ponderation: I really like the font I've been using so far (Blackadder), but I've noticed it doesn't read well for small names, and tends to look odd when distorted to fit in smaller spaces (such as tiny bays or around rivers). Do you guys know of a nice font that would fit the style and at the same time extend the eye-life of the viewer a few more years?

Thanks beforehand!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Prevett View Post
    I'll echo what the above posters said; the style of the map is very appealing. The layered glow around the continents, the subtle texture backgrounds on both sea and land, and the simplicity of uniform color are all great touches. I can't wait to see it when it's finished.
    Much appreciated, Scott!

Now that is just lovely! I really like what you've done with the mountains. Looking forward to seeing this finished.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

This is starting to look awesome! Can't help you with the font. Though on old maps for example, the place names were usually written in such an elaborate way that to a "modern eye" they look illegible. So I guess at some point you have to choose between beauty and legibility...

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Now that is just lovely! I really like what you've done with the mountains. Looking forward to seeing this finished.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you very much, Arsheesh! This weekend I expect to get more work done. I've been experimenting with some forest-drawing styles and I'll try to get them to work (since this is the first time I draw a map using a digital tablet, I'm kind of improvising the whole drawing thing as I go!).

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    This is starting to look awesome! Can't help you with the font. Though on old maps for example, the place names were usually written in such an elaborate way that to a "modern eye" they look illegible. So I guess at some point you have to choose between beauty and legibility...
    You have my thanks, Lyandra. And aye, it seems I'll have to do some compromises with the fonts soon; I did some testing with cities and territories, and I really need somethings readable at very small sizes. This part of the world in particular is extremely atomized in terms of territories, very much like the Holy Roman Empire during the 1500-1600, and having so many tiny states gets really confusing with the current font I'm using.

Perhaps I'll keep it for the very large names (such as water bodies and lands), and use a different one for geopolitical naming.

Hello, lads and lasses! Long time no see.

I finally got around experimenting with forests, and ended up with this. What do you guys think? Do they look like forests to you, or does the map look like it needs some shaving?

Name:	Flammarionv0.4.jpg 
Views:	1244 
Size:	4.71 MB 
ID:	48158

In any case, it is great to be back to the drawing board. I've been away from mapping for several months and my fingers are itching!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus van der Kroft View Post
    Hello, lads and lasses! Long time no see.

I finally got around experimenting with forests, and ended up with this. What do you guys think? Do they look like forests to you, or does the map look like it needs some shaving?

Name:	Flammarionv0.4.jpg 
Views:	1244 
Size:	4.71 MB 
ID:	48158

In any case, it is great to be back to the drawing board. I've been away from mapping for several months and my fingers are itching!
    I really like your style, your landmass, mountains and forest really have that "epic" feeling of a good map!
    Congratulations, cant wait to see more of this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast