Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [WIP] World of Flammarion: The Known World

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

You're welcome Aren't portolan diagrams supposed to be connected? It seems they're not on the map

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Ah, yes. That was a mistake I made when I first put them in, and I was supposed to fix it eventually!

I'll try to make that "eventually" turn into a "very soon" promptly.

Got some more work done this evening. Went on with the main mountain ranges on the Outremer/Cyclopean-Berberati region (the lower part of the continent on the left of the map). I have decided to call my mountain-drawing process "Moustaching", since it feels like I'm painting hundreds of tiny moustaches everywhere!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flammarion 10-7.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	55974

Hopefully I'll get the rivers and forested areas done this weekend, though this part of the world is pretty dry so there should be less of that, as the sun rides pretty much exactly above the main mountain range. Those oddly-shaped vertical mountains were early attempts by the cyclops of Ordobaracg to catch the sun, carving the tallest mountains in the region and then shooting harpoons the size of ships or launching themselves in alchemical balloons. They failed everytime, so every once in a while a new leader promised to get the task done and orded a new mountain carved, or in one specific case an entire mountain disasembled/reasembled on top of another mountain, which came crumbling down, was rebuilt and once again crumbled down. Eventually, they got beat to it by the more resourceful cyclops of Dhyr in the north, who built a huge spire that actually reached the sun, which stopped moving for 3 days and messed up almost every calendar in Flammarion. One of the titans hauling the sun got killed in the process and the solar disk changed its original route, which caused quite a few problems everywhere in the world.

Those cyclops were really obsessed with the sun (later guys even built their own. Their grandchildren are still trying to turn it off). On the good side, that same obsession is what in the end drove them to explore beyond the boundaries of the world and sail across the cloudy seas extending after the edges of the disk, finding new worlds in the process.

Nice progress. That is a crazy story Klaus! This world is pretty fantastic/mythical then eh?

Thanks, Viking.

Yes, it's on the more trippy side of fantasy, I think, what with seas made of wine, island fishes, talking ships, clockwork people, wandering mountains, and all that. It's somewhere between 7th Sea and the Adventures of the Baron of Münchhausen, I suppose.

A great story for a great map.

There is just one thing that I really don't like about this map: the font you used for the geographical landmarks. While it looks rather good overall and in small scale, the irregular grungy look does not work in larger scales, like in the ocean names.

Thank you very much, Freodin.

And yes, I agree. I've been growing increasingly less happy with that font over time (it's a very nice one, don't get me wrong, but as you and others have pointed out, has several issues in this particular way I'm using it), so I'm on the lookout for an alternative. I haven't changed it yet mostly because I still haven't found a proper replacement, but its very high on the to-do list.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks pretty nice overall...Though, while watching it, I'm wondering if the drawing style of mountains and forests really fits with the more "political" look with colored borders.
    Last edited by - Max -; 07-12-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345