Thread: Allis

The state of confusion in the pit of hell

Default Allis

Well, it's no beauty, but I finally have a reasonable map of Allis for GaryCon. This mapping stuff just ain't easy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Allisjpeg.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	506.2 KB 
ID:	42622

I need to get CC; it looks like it can do some cool stuff.
    Two questions:
    1. What are the dark circles outside the city and in the SW corner? Trees? This might just be my lack of familiarity with the program.
    2. What are the brown dotted lines?

The side roads are a little hard to see, but you can get a general feel for them from the flow of the buildings if you zoom out.

Well, I'm struggling a lot to get this down myself, but the circles represent wooden huts and the brown dotted lines are part of the dirt background.

I just tried to print it out, wasted a lot of paper and I'm missing the SW corner of a 16 panel map.

Ahh ok. The huts didn't read to me (obviously). From what I've read you can make or download brushes for CC. Perhaps one with a thatched roof look would portray them better? I'm not the person to ask about that program and what's readily available.

The dirt lines are very orderly for dirt. I wish I could get the dirt on my car to organize itself that well for easy clean up. I would either randomly distribute those specks or remove them.

Aside from those two items it looks pretty good!

I could fiddle with this without end and I do enough fiddling as it is. Not taking umbrage at your suggestions, but at some point I have to say enough! This hobby is killing me as it is!

Haha no problem, just offering thoughts for consideration as I like to have done for anything i'm working on (maps or otherwise). As probably most people on here I'm a fiddler too. I think that's kind of a prerequisite to get into cartography.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

If this is done in Campaign Cartographer, we have quite a few people who know the program and its add-ons quite well. I know of at least one of them who looks for CC questions and stuff. NeonKnight is one of them. He usually is quite quick to answer posts with CC3 in the title...I, unfortunately know diddly about CC3.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

If you need to print things that are too big for your printer you might check out posterazor.

Haha, You sound like me on that "I could fiddle forever" comment.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Hm, for a map I generally think it's more important to see roads than the outlines of buildings. If you think what a map is used for, it's for getting around - seeing so much detail of the buildings actually detracts from giving an impression of the city.

Well this map is to simply identify certain locations and establishments. There are roads on the map, but between the buildings is a maze of alleys, a place even the GM would get lost in!