Thread: Need (alot of) help with world map

Post Need (alot of) help with world map

I posted a thread in the Request forum, where I asked for someone to create a map for me, since I felt my own skills were severely lacking. I received enough encouragement that I should try to do it on my own however. So now that I feel that I have enough time, I have decided to have a go at it.

From my original post in the request forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulliman View Post
    Greetings!

I have been working on a private fantasy project for some time now. It is not connected to any kind of roleplaying module or world, but the material I have created might become a novel or series of novels sometime in the distant and muddled future (depending on whether or not I succeed at world conquest).

Since the project has become quite detailed, I have realized that I will be in need of a map that is more professionally created than I can achieve. What I am looking for is this:

• An aestethically pleasing map, according to wishes.
    • Ability for me to add names, cities, borders and suchlike (i.e., not too fuddled with details). Customizable.

The point of the map would be that I would be able to customize it. I am a history major, which means that the main focus for my world is its history and timeline. This means that I will need to illustrate for myself the political, cultural and demographical changes on a map, in order to gain a clear view of my project.

Contact me via PM if you are interested, and I will give you further details . I am absolutely not a rich person, but if the artist is very ambitious, I will feel obliged to reward this monetarily.

Here follows a map originally made in Paint (!), which I have used for printing. It depicts the continent, its mountainous regions as well as rivers and lakes.
    So basically, I would like to customize my map in such a way that it is aesthetically pleasing, while at the same time being functional. The version I have now works wonderfully with printing and then drawing with a pencil, but I was thinking of creating a homepage for my fantasy world, and because of that I might need something more serious.

So first things first, what are the first things first? Should I look at what kind of colours I need or something? Currently, my map only shows mountains and rivers, but there are other kinds of terrain, such as hills, forests and wasteland that I need to map out. Does anyone have a tip on how to go about that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karta, skiss med berg.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	3030  

That's a pretty terrific start. I would suggest that what you do next is trawl about this site and others, find a mapping style that you'd like to emulate and post the reference map(s) here. We can then (hopefully) give you tips as to how to recreate the elements from your reference in your new map.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    That's a pretty terrific start. I would suggest that what you do next is trawl about this site and others, find a mapping style that you'd like to emulate and post the reference map(s) here. We can then (hopefully) give you tips as to how to recreate the elements from your reference in your new map.
    Right, will have a look around, although if I were to freely choose a mapping style, it would probably be too hard to emulate (such as the maps by Handsome Rob) .

Changed the map slightly, removed all river forks except for one.

Handsome Rob has posted a tutorial showing his methods!

Good thing you removed the forks! Old 'River Sherriff Rob' might have made you do some hard explainin'!