Thread: February/March Lite Challenge Entry - Treasure Map

Default February/March Lite Challenge Entry - Treasure Map

So, I figured I'd try another one of these challenges. I'm still learning as I go along.

Here's what I have so far. Hopefully more people will try this challenge I'm interested in seeing what people come up with.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	treasure_map_1.jpg 
Views:	9113 
Size:	4.55 MB 
ID:	42628  

I think that this is absolutely brilliant. I love the you have upturned every possible map convention: inverting land and river/water colours and using unexpected (or no) textures, making the water look like it is above the land; ridiculous compass; totally pointless landmarks; ambiguous volcano. It is brilliant because it's just at the uncomfortable place between crap, edgy and inspired (and I mean that as a very high compliment). I'd actually buy this for my wall - a work of art.

EDIT - God I hope this does not come across in the wrong way. I really really like this map, and how you are playing on normal map conventions.

Alright at first this map just made me angry, but then I slowly started realizing all the same things as Jack and started giggling to myself at the subtle brilliance of it. I'm in the same boat as him in that I like the fact that it's so plain. Most of the maps around here are so focused on the nitty gritty details and making everything perfectly textured and detailed and beautiful... this COMPLETELY flips basically the entire community's perception of a "quality" map on it's head. I love it.

Oh, and I decided all of this prior to reading Jack's comment. The fact that we came to the same conclusion separately must mean something... Either it comes across perfectly or we're terrible judges of maps

Hahahahaha!

It's the compass that really makes it, I think...

I am glad people like this. It never crossed my mind that people would actually like it in it's present state. This was supposed to be more of a "rough draft". I was going to do more work on it but I think I'll just tweak the volcano and add a pirate ship.

Very much. Make sure not to 'improve' the volcano too much and make sure to put your pirate ship on land.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    Very much. Make sure not to 'improve' the volcano too much and make sure to put your pirate ship on land.
    Hahaha. Pirate ship on land. Got it.

So here is the updated map.

Thins I changed and added:
    - "O" marks the spot instead of "X" marks the spot
    - paper airplane instead of pirate ship
    - paw prints leading away from the "O" instead of a dotted line leading towards it
    - changed the volcano
    - changed the land, water and river

I think I'm done (unless I receive input that I think would make the map better).

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	treasure_map_2.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	43057

I like all your changes, but I think I preferred the old sea border, because it appeared to make the sea float above the land. Also the way the sea was textured before was pretty good, because again it seemed wrong somehow. But I do like the paw prints a lot.