Thread: Guild hall

Map Guild hall

This was originally started as a Thieve's Guild Hall, but it could be used for almost any guild hall, adventurer's clubhouse or wealthy mansion.

Feedback appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GuildHall1_bg.jpg 
Views:	2388 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	42507

Pretty nice, the only thing that strikes me is your middle rooms aren't getting any light which will make them very dark and gloomy during the day.

Stone floors imply paver over earth (or concrete).
    Wood floors imply that there is an air space below (like a second floor or over a crawl space).
    You use both on the same level ... so does half your building have a crawl space or basement and the other half not?

Wall to wall carpet is fairly modern (the large patterned floor looks like carpet). Area rugs historically more common.

Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
    Stone floors imply paver over earth (or concrete).
    Wood floors imply that there is an air space below (like a second floor or over a crawl space).
    You use both on the same level ... so does half your building have a crawl space or basement and the other half not?

Wall to wall carpet is fairly modern (the large patterned floor looks like carpet). Area rugs historically more common.
    There is a basement under the building. While your assumptions are logical, I have been in a number of old mansions that had mixtures of wood and marble flooring on the same floor, with and without basements or other floors under them. With enough money the owner can get it build anyway he wants, as in the stone staircase on wood floor that needed special supports you mentioned in another post. It wasn't practical, or in the original blueprints, but the rich athlete got what he wanted. These guys have a vault full of treasure, and magic, they can have their floors made to order.

The large game room has a marble floor, the only wall to wall rug is the hallway with the stairs. Perhaps a bit modern, but it is an older looking pattern, and it is a fantasy realm, who knows what the fashion is in that time and place. It's not like it is an impossibly advanced technology, and it was not supposed to represent any specific time frame on Earth.

In the southernmost room, isn't it a bit odd that the sun is shining through three windows each on different sides, but coming through at the same straight angles? So basically you have three different external light sources?
    Last edited by Engris; 02-26-2012 at 02:22 AM.

Wooo :O Big and shiney! ... is that enough feedback? I think it looks ... well, big and shiney.

I don't often give feedback on maps like this because for my campaigns I rarely use tactical maps and never figurines, so I'm not even in a position to comment on utility and so forth. What programs do you use for maps like this?

I'm with Larb - if you converted those two central rooms into a courtyard (or two) that would be an easy fix as all you'd have to do is to make the flooring stone and the furniture of a kind that would stand up to rain - e.g. stone benches, or just use vegetation like grass and plants.

Or clerestory lighting (high windows).

Thanks Lukc! "O..Big and Shiney" is always good feedback! LOL! I've played and run games with and without figurines. A great DM can run a terrific game without the visual aids but as I am only an average DM I rely on all the visual help I can get. The map was made with DundJinni, tweaked with photoshop and displayed with MapTool.

I do like the idea of the central courtyard a lot (I'll try that in my next design) but clerestory windows sounds like an easier fix. Of course the real easy excuse is to say the wall lanterns have Light spells in them.

To answer Engris: The main reason that the light shines through like that is because the windows I used come with the light projection as part of the artwork.
    However, it is not entirely wrong. If you are in a dim room when the sun is directly overhead, the light will come in equally from all windows on all sides of the room. At sunrise or sunset, then the lighting will be much more directional. So this map is correct for high noon! Or it could be night time if there were multiple light sources outside, like a ring of villagers with torches surrounding the building.