Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a half circle room in Photoshop

Default Making a half circle room in Photoshop

For some reason this concept completely ESCAPES me...

I want to make a half circle room for a temple on a map.... but in PS I can just make solid circle. I know there has to be a way to do this, but it escapes me HOW and its driving me bonkers!!!

So how can one:

Make a half circle
    and just have a 3px outline remain

Any suggestions would be fantastic!

Make a full circle (white 100%), then take your selection tool and drag a marquee over half of it, then hit the delete button. Then double click the layer on the layer palette and add a 3 pixel stroke to the half circle.

If you want exactly a half circle I would set a guide line off of one of the rulers first. Go to View > Rulers to make them visible if they aren't already. Then simply drag from the ruler onto your canvas and a blue line will appear that your selection tool will lock on to if you get close enough.

Using that guide line as the center point for your circle will help you get exactly in the middle when you delete half of it.

First off, thanks for the help... secondly, so I have my half circle with the stroke attached... how do I get rid of the fill with out removing the stroke? I have been using flash to long where all I do is click inside the circle and hit delete

In the layers section there are two sliders marked "Opacity" and "Fill." Reducing opacity will make the entire image transparent, layer styles and all. Reducing fill will make ONLY the parts you painted onto the canvas transparent while keeping all layer styles at 100%. So if you reduce fill to 0%, your half circle will be gone but the stroke will remain.

If you want to be able to delete part of that wall without the stroke filling in, create a new layer BELOW your half circle layer. After you have set your fill to 0%, right click your half circle layer and select "Merge Down."
    Last edited by miinstrel; 03-01-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks again. While I was trying this out, I came up with another question. Right now I am putting two double doors into the temple... but in the future if I want to have just a passage open into a room, is there anyway to delete portions of the stroke? Like I said, dont need it now, but it will save me from pestering everyone later.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

another way to get a 3 px thick circle could be to draw the circle (own layer of course) with the marquee tool - fill it in the wanted line colour. Then go to SELECT > MODIFY > CONTRACT - 3 px ... this works well with small contractions - not so well with large numbers as the shape might suffer but then you can use SELECT > TRANSFORM SELECTION and pull at the corner points with ALT and SHIFT pressed to retain proportions and center.
    If you want to delete portions of a stroke just use the marquee tool select what you don't need and push delete.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

You might seriously want to consider using different software (Illustrator, if you have it). Coming from the Flash world, it will more likely match the way you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordman View Post
    You might seriously want to consider using different software (Illustrator, if you have it). Coming from the Flash world, it will more likely match the way you think.
    Yes, I think the next map I attempt might be in Illustrator. Specially since I tried to import a png into flash make some furniture.. then open the image back up in PS to crop it... and the entire image disappears!

Anyway, back to PS. So now I am trying to make some furniture and other dungeon dressing (tables, chairs etc) and using the trick mentioned above, I can now add a stroke... yet how do I change the color of the stroke?

Thanks again to everyone helping me with this.

It's on the stroke menu: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stroke color.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	42665

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast