Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from a lurker.

Post Hello from a lurker.

Hi there. I've been lurking around for a while now looking at all the great work on the boards, and I thought I'd say a quick hello.

I'm afraid I'm no kind of artist, so my own output is a bit on the shaky side, but I've always loved maps and always feel driven to find good representations of any game worlds that I play in (I found my way here by following a trail from Anna's wonderful WIP, the Atlas of the Flanaess).

I've already been able to produce a simple map of my own for our home game, using info in the many tutorials posted or linked to here, so maybe with time I'll be able to turn out maps that I can be happy with

For now, I thought I'd hang around, read, practice, and maybe even take part in your monthly challenges....

Welcome SpamValiant (and I like the name). I think the most important thing is to put aside self-consciousness and just post. Its the best way to go through the process and also the best way to ensure you get accurate advice that is specific to you.

In addition to the monthly challenge have a look at the collaborative world building project. Both are great places to learn and get to know others on this board.

Enjoy.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Greetings and Welcome to the Guild. I second Torq in saying that you really can just put aside any shyness and just post up what you have and let the advice flow. I was a bit reluctant to post something up when I first started visiting the boards, but my worries were soon diminished by the great advice and friendly people... so happy mapping

Welcome SpamValiant! As the others said, just post. There is really no such thing as a 'bad' map.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I must admit, I saw your name when you registered and was worried...I've had my eye on you!

Welcome aboard! Thanks for delurking!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Glad you're here SpamV! I hope you post a lot and give lots of great advice--plus gain whatever will help your maps in becoming all that much better!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Hehe - maybe I gave the wrong impression Although my maps are nothing to be proud of, I'm not overly embarassed by that fact! I've managed to get this far through life without getting too depressed by the fact that I can't draw, paint, sing, play an instrument or do anything that is remotely creative unless it involves cheating and using a computer to do the hard work With a computer, on the other hand, I've made a few decent piccies, a couple of well received game movies, and am now busy trying to become an amateur cartographer. Praise be for the gift of the microchip, eh?

Once the latest version of my current map is done I'm planning to post it as a WIP, I've already thought of a few bits of advice on it that I'm going to ask for (plan ahead, see?), and I'm currently working on the concept for my nautical chart for this month's compo (concept first, then execution, right?)

And to Arcana, sorry if the name was a little worrying It's a pseudonym I've used since about 1990, back when spam was just a faintly unpleasant fake meat. I read the name in a story about a spoof space-hero. You know the type, Buck Rogers, Dan Dare, Flash Gordon, Boots Walker, Spam Valiant, rocket-rangers all! Of course, nowadays people are expecting me to wire them funds from Nigeria, or offer to enlarge their nethers, but I can live with that.

Blog Entries

Phew ! well now I know your not going to try to enlarge my nethers then welcome and hope to see your maps shortly.

Welcome to the Guild and as the others have said, I too am looking forward to checking out your maps. Thanks for delurking and jumping into the insanity.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast