Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm back!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I've been experimenting some with watercolor too, and coming up with nothing worth posting! Those look great to me

Very nice work! I love to look at watercolors, but I'm an acrylic painter. =) Tried oils first, because my great grandmother used them, but they took too long to set. Been meaning to paint an acrylic map at some point, but I got my tablet and now I'm kinda stuck in the digital realm. And that blasted shadow box script! Jeez. I spent like two hours trying to get rid of that when I updated my blog. haha!

Oh, and... 'physical' painting (or any medium, really) is often referred to as traditional.
    Last edited by Chashio; 06-15-2012 at 10:57 PM.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I gots a new WIP.. it's a grain barn or something from alberta? i dunno.. i found the picture online of different canadian pics

I've got to figure out how to do the shingles all over the barn (it's like, cedar shingled over the whole thing) and do more details to the wood stuff along the bottom... clounds in the sky, and an entire lifetimes worth of grass blades
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grain_barn.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	45768
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

What's with the little tiny picture?! =) It looks good from a distance, anyway. The grass... you might consider using a fan brush, but practice a bit first.

haha so you can't see the mistakes!

really i just kept it small for a quick upload... its not done, so i didn't think it had to be large... fan brush is indeed the way i'm going with the grass i think, there's just too much to try to put them in individually.. it's not really grass, its like, chopped down straw or wheat or what have you, it was a lot of white, which i decided i'd either scratch in at the end or just deal with it being yellow (i don't have the time to try to mask a million grass clumps).. the shingles are the hard part, i can't seem to find a good way to do em.. here, i'll upload the original pic and see if you have any ideas...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paintgrid.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	45792
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Whoa, that's a lot of little squares.

I would test out some ideas if it was me.

I think my first experiment would be to paint horizontal lines and then vertical lines after that had dried raising the brush up every now and then. Obviously using a slightly darker color for the vertical lines....you could do it the other way around and go vertical first if you cared. Then I would go back through and touch up with some lighting or whatever. Not sure this will work because I am a noob with watercolor but that would be my first guess other than doing each shingle at a time.

You could cut yourself a little square of stiff sponge and make a brush for stamping each shingle. Then just be real careful to line them up.

You could attempt painting each square, haha.

Find a piece of screen, maybe remove some strands and lay it on the paper and brush over that with a mostly dry brush and see what happens.

Ok, those are my 2 minutes worth of experimental ideas. Let us know what you decide.

PS. If all that failed I would probably do the shingles with ink and then fill in the squares with the paint.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 06-18-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Yeah, I did a painting of grassy dunes by the ocean for my brother last year, and of course I did it the hard way. Blade by blade. Though it doesn't really count, I suppose, when the paint is opaque. hehehe =)

First thing I'd do is size up the image so you can study the details. You've probably already done this and uploaded a small version. Then I'd mask off the lightest shingles and wash over everything with the few various deeper colors (green moss, then red glow, and red-purple on the end side). Mask the next-lightest shingles and give it another wash of colors. Mask the next- lightest, etc, etc... until happy with the variability of values. THEN unmask and selectively paint a few of the darkest edges.

That's what I'd do.
    Last edited by Chashio; 06-20-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12