Thread: Satelite Style Island

Wip Satelite Style Island

This is just me playing around with Wilbur. I have seen the tutorial by Arsheesh and got interessted. I will see where it takes me. I will finish this one later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island-Test.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	44096

Some labeling, a few forests, subtle texture changes on the water and my thoughts on the overall form of the island. First I was sceptical on the pure white but it cleans up the map alot. What do you think?
    Compass, scalebar and cartouche ( or at least an overall lable ) still to be done.

Name:	Island-Test-2.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	251.9 KB 
ID:	44104

Guild Adept

Something seems off to me visually with the erosion. I can't quite put my finger on it. Some aspects of this while looking pretty don't really seem to be playing nice together. Is this mountain half ring part of an old volcanic crater? That might make the visual make a bit more sense. Still, some the erosion effects on the southern face seem to mess with my eyeballs when interacting with the terrain... which could be completely realistic as satellite photos can do that! LOL.
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

Upon closer inspection I think I know what you mean. There are some rivers/erosion that seem to flow over a crest. This impression could be enhanced by the fact I highlighted some areas because they have been to dark. The hightmap has been created by hand and I think I made the greyscalerange to high so that I got very dark areas. Still fooling around. But I will keep an eye out the next time. THX for pointing out.
    For now I´m calling this finished and move on

Name:	Island-Test-3.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	265.8 KB 
ID:	44121
    Last edited by Troedel; 04-18-2012 at 03:33 PM.

This looks pretty nice Troedel. I think I would increase the opacity on the bump map layer a bit, but that's a stylistic choice. As to the blending, you've done a pretty good job, but there's a portion of the mountain (North-Eastern portion) that could have been blended a bit more. All and all though, this looks great.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I agree with you arsheesh, this could be improved. I´ll leave this experiment as it is for now as I would like to move on with a clean slate. THX for the CC.