Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Effort

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

I love the canvas effect but those mountains are far too big and undifferentiated for a world map.

Just sayin but this really might have been better off posted in WIP rather than finished maps

Guild Apprentice

I know my comment here is months past your posting and I hope you're still stopping by here at the Guild; but your Version 2 reminds me of some of the really old "portolan" and "regional" maps of early America. I have two old maps of the Cape Cod area of Massachusetts (probably remakes of originals for the tourist trade, but they are at least over 80 years old that I know of for certain) anyways, the only difference, to me, is scale and the addition of famous towns and houses and their famous inhabitants/histories. They also have stylized animals: bears, moose, deer, hawks, "mermaids", etc. along with a sailing ship or two. However, your map encompasses such a large "region" that this may prove intensely problematic.
    I'd say, take what you've got, zoom into a specific area and detail the ba-jesus out of it with the ideas listed above, but keeping in mind to be having "fun" with it all throughout the process. I like the map very much. It has that real "antique" quality to it that makes it seem "collectible". Something a certain kender (in the Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman) would have "acquired" for his collection.
    Good stuff, imho.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waynan7 View Post
    your Version 2 reminds me of some of the really old "portolan" and "regional" maps of early America.
    thanks for that... googled me some lovely maps

Looking good

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12