Thread: HS1 The Slaying Stone encounter maps

Default HS1 The Slaying Stone encounter maps

This is a set of encounter maps I made to run the 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons module 'HS1 The Slaying Stone' published by WotC. I was aiming for an autumnal theme for the outside maps. The later encounters are better than the earlier ones, as I learned how to use GIMP.

The maps are made from scratch using free textures and resources downloaded from the intergoogleweb, including some from this forum, for example Bogie's excellent map tables. All maps are as described in the module except the library, to which I added a balcony because libraries should always have balconies.

I did not make encounter maps for encounters 11 and 12 because I plan on using those created by Wonko the Sane here http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...-Slaying-Stone. His last two are particularly good and also have the same autumnal theme.

The WIP thread for these maps is here http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ing-Stone-maps, and ungridded versions can be downloaded there but the finished maps posted below are the most recent versions. I have also added a handout that I made for the PCs describing the history of the town.

Encounter 11 Shrine of the Moon Time your players so that they arrive here at night-time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encounter 11 - Shrine of the Moon.png 
Views:	2261 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	42730

Encounter 9: Krayd the Butcher I de-emphasised the 'stairs' up to the platform, because these are quite hard to climb and the encounter notes that the scaffolding holding up the platform can be climbed on any side.

Name:	Encounter 9 - Krayd the Butcher.PNG 
Views:	2119 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	42731

Encounter 8: Goblin Wolf Brigade This takes place in the stables.

Name:	Encounter 8 - Goblin Wolf Brigade.PNG 
Views:	2343 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	42732

Encounter 7: Monsters and Manuals I added a balcony around the main floor, because libraries always have balconies, and because it adds an extra tactical element for a battle that requires the big-bad to run around and avoid melee contact with the PCs. I also include my terrain notes on this encounter.

Name:	Encounter 7 - Monsters and Manuals.jpg 
Views:	3080 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	43501 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terrain Notes.jpg 
Views:	1263 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	43500

Encounter 6: Unearthed Pets I have also included two overlays for the two central buildings.

Name:	Encounter 6 - Unearthed Pets - Grid.jpg 
Views:	6038 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	43225 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encounter 6 - Unearthed Pets - HOUSE OPEN.jpg 
Views:	2266 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	43223 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encounter 6 - Unearthed Pets - HOUSE OPEN1.jpg 
Views:	4005 
Size:	348.5 KB 
ID:	43224

Encounter 5: Vermin Infestation Particularly proud of the mechanism for the portcullis.

Name:	Encounter 5 - Vermin Infestation.png 
Views:	2739 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	42736

Encounter 4: Kobold Slums (see WIP thread for version without secret passage) (note: small map)

Name:	Encounter 4 - Kobold Gutternsipes.png 
Views:	1960 
Size:	398.1 KB 
ID:	43504

Encounter 1: Hungry Wolves (note: small map)

Name:	Encounter 1 - Hungry Wolves.png 
Views:	4121 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	43503

PC Handout regarding the history of Kiris Dahn and module background.

Name:	Kiris Dahn handout.jpg 
Views:	2651 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	42739
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 03-30-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Wow, these are very pretty. I would play this game.

These maps are very nice kudos! Question though are they the right size to use with standard minis?

No - they are all over the shop in terms in size. They were the first maps I ever did, and some are problematic.

In any case, the 'right size to use with minis' can always be fixed - you can scale and print maps out to the sizes that you want. I believe for minis you need 1 grid square to an inch. The scale of these maps vary but I checked the last one and it is 1 grid square = 0.83 of an inch for my printer (note - the final scale of the printed image depends on two things: the scale of the digital image, and the printer settings). This is pretty close (the map is a little too big, and should be scaled down slightly).

Thank you again

Are there maps for encounters 2 and 3? I am not the DM and have not read the material just the guy with access to the free color printer lol

No, encounters 2 & 3 are non-combat exploration-type challenges.