Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Madness at Gardmore Abbey Encounter Maps

quite good.. you have a talent my friend.
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Thanks loogie and jfrazier.

Fixed some errors with the watchtower, and completed the font of Ioun using the jungle alter (can't find the name of the artist to credit). That's all the base maps, now to do the interior of the bell tower and watchtower, and to go back and tweak those over-heavy spiderweb shadows on the first map. And the best news is that my PCs decided to start the adventure with ... the foresty bit! Hurrah.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Font.jpg 
Views:	1279 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	42899 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tower.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	42898

Be careful with your rock shading. Go a little lighter in more passes if necessarily. The second from the bottom is probably the worst offender as well as the center one and the one at the bottom(same rock, same shading...you might be able to hide this with a rotate and different shadows if possible)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks jpfrazier - I had left my top-most shadow layer on 'normal' rather than 'overlay'. Hopefully it's a little better now. I did the Font map in a bit of a rush as you can tell. I also deleted that bottom rock - it is not adding anything to the encounter and you were right about it looking copied.

I went back to my first map and lightened up the webs (by changing them to 'hard light') and the shadows (by changing them to 'overlay) just like you suggested. I think the map looks better and less heavy as a result. But do they look a too metallic now?

It's really helpful to have another opinion - I am very grateful that you are taking the time to advise me jpfrazier.

Name:	Font of Ioun.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	42905 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encounter 9 outer garden.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	42904
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 03-09-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Yep, looks much better.. As for the webs, IMPO you should drop the opacity to somewhere between 60-80% for that layer.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Reduced web layer to 70% opacity & corresponding reduction in the webshadow layer. I have to upload them here so that I can compare.

Added the interior of the bell tower - do the colours clash too much? I tried to match the warm sandstone colour of the steps using Neyjour's tiles, but it doesn't look great against the grey tower walls.

Name:	9 outer garden.jpg 
Views:	1055 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	42908 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11 belltower Interior view.jpg 
Views:	1022 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	42909

EDIT: I have a question: is it possible to re-colour a layer/image/object/selection in GIMP using another layer/etc as a reference? For example, say I select a stone which has nice shades of pale reddish brown. I want to save it's pallate (so all the shades of brown from lightest to darkest on that stone are saved somewhere), then I go to a new layer/etc and map that pallate onto it. Does anyone know how to do that?
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 03-09-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Well, there is the Color Map feature which uses a height map to map to a gradient, but other than that, I don't know. RobA would know the answer if anyone would.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Ok - I worked out how how to do it. It is easy and very powerful - basically, I can select any object, layer or image and save it's colour scheme, then remap any other image/layer/object using that same colour scheme. This has a lot of uses - say you really like the sea shades on someone else's world map, and want them to apply to your sea. It's easy. Maybe I should do a short tutorial.

I've started the watchtower interior. Here is the ground floor WIP - need to add some internal walls and doors. Unfortunately the internal steps go down rather than up, but trying to make the steps go up turned out to be far too difficult and not worth the hassle.

Name:	14 Watchtower - Interior Ground Floor.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	42921

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    Fixed some errors with the watchtower, and completed the font of Ioun using the jungle alter (can't find the name of the artist to credit).
    The artist is Supercaptain, you can find his original post (with several variations of the altar) at Dundjinni Forums by clicking here: http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/foru...9503&KW=jungle

These maps are coming along beautifully! Keep up the great work!

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast