Thread: Aspiring Table Top RPG Developer

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Aspiring Table Top RPG Developer

I know that, for the most part, Table Top RPG's are obsolete; however I am here to learn how to make original maps from you amazing folks, so that I can craft an amazing world for my characters, and potential players, to thrive and die in. I hope to learn a lot, and to contribute just as much as I learn. Thank you.

Heya!

I don't believe anything is obsolete, so long as there are those who find it useful and still enjoy it.

I'm not one of them, but I know there are quite a few table-top folks here who are very talented.. and who could probably be cajoled into offering suggestions and pointers if you need them.

Welcome to the Cartographers' Guild!

-Lailokken
    A man shows who he is, by what he does, with what he has.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thank you for your advice.

Until they develop video games that can spontaneously generate plot, characters, environments, and societies based solely on your actions in game and not on algorithms and pre-determined plots, table tops will rule supreme. Welcome to the guild.

I agree, those who are completely hung up on computer RPGs (and I love them as well) are just being ridiculous. There are no limits on what can happen during a table top session. If you want to climb the wall and leap onto that chandelier..."Ok, give me a roll". All others are very limited by comparison. Nothing can push the bounds of your imagination compared to that. As a matter of fact, I would have to say that I always imagine the new game coming out will be better than anything I have ever played. Unfortunately, a couple weeks after buying it I find it's just more of the same old thing. I am so sick of the same story and game mechanic put to a different graphical interface. I am waiting for the next honest to goodness big thing. The new Star Wars MMO was not enough for me. Good try but not good enough.

The true beauty of computer games is that they are there at 1am when you can't sleep and feel mad about it so you can go slay some troglodytes instead.

I admit I play more computer games than table tops but I certainly prefer the table tops over them. It's just hard to get everyone synchronized as it requires several people to squeeze the time out of their lives on schedule. For that reason I get to play about once a year
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 03-01-2012 at 12:10 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Yeah SWTOR is pretty spiffy looking and I LOVE my bounty hunter and sith assassin... but it's an MMO. There may be awesome voice acting and cut scenes, but it's still an MMO and it feels like an MMO. I play PC RPGs mainly for the storyline and to look for interesting encounters and ideas... that I can then incorporate into my table top games haha. Plagiarism is a DM's best friend.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild - there are a lot of good old pen-n-paper players in here... personally i still play D&D but haven't played computer games for several years (not counting a few months of frontier ville). Been playing rpg's for 32 years now and I'm nowhere close to quitting
    Be sure to check out the many tutorials in here - they'll get you started right ... and when you're ready - post in a WIP thread for help and critique
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

Welcome and hello neighbor! (Battle Creek) I agree Table Tops forever. I just recently joined here, and have many of the same goals as you do. If you find anything interesting let me know (I probably will too) ;-)
    Unless specifically stated otherwise in a post body, all work uploaded here by me may be used for any purpose commercial or otherwise.
    We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colours....
    but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

A Game Master myself I think that the imagination is the best thing to work with, Good luck and hopefully you get where you want to go with this ^.^