Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 19]The Gallant Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    It's kind of a default. I'll try to fix it on the next go-round. If I use a slightly oblique view it actually works better, cause you don't just see the shadowy south sides of mountains. And some of those things actually are sticking out like veins. Bryce erosion sometimes has some issues.
    I'd assumed it was on purpose, following the "In the Norther hemisphere the sun always shines from a southernly direction" school of thought...

-Rob A>

Yeah... That's what I shoulda said.

*cringe* Can't read... text... the colours... too painful... *gack*

(Honestly tho, the colours are hard too read, will the bright blue/red on top of white/grey)
    Two in harmony surpass one in perfection

I did say I was having trouble with this.

None of the colors are finalized. Although the blue looks pretty good to me on the water. Stands out, but isn't too glaring. Text sizes need to change, too, I think. Ultimately my land colors should be more like Burpwallow, with the hydrography.

I tried scaling heights realistically to the size. I assumed a highest altitude of 14,000 feet and a 600 mile tile size. This was t-t-t-t-terrible. Awful. It was just a long, virtually indiscernible slope up to a barely relieved top and then an equally long, dull, gentle slope back down. <yawn> If I try scaling height so that the slopes look good, it's just far, far too tall, and feels too close in.

The trouble is that the noise is too homogeneous in slope. There is very little variation in slopes between high places and low. This is true even with a ridged simplex multifractal. This is one of many reasons why DEM analysis tools are so flummoxed by synthetic terrains.

I've tried using as square-root filter on the HF, but it flattens the low areas out horribly, and the barrier mountain ridge looks more like a few widely-spaced hillocks with low, gently rolling mudflats in between. Grrrr...

Sorry, I meant square, not square root. I kept trying your idea with poor results, and then I tried square-root with results that had no resemblance to what I'd done before. Finally, I had the good sense to sit down with my beloved HP-48 and think about what the exponents did.

Exponents greater than one tend to flatten low areas and sharpen high areas. Exponents less than one tend to sharpen low areas and round off the peaks. An exponent of one tends(perfectly) to leave everything as is. Oh, yeah, if you want a cueball planet, an exponent of zero is perfect .

Been a while since The Boroughs have seen an update. Can we look forward to more from you, su_liam?

NymTevlyn

I'll claim this region if the founders don't have any objections.

No objections. Do something cool with that big bay, alright?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast