Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 19]The Gallant Coast.

Post [Region 1][Map 19]The Gallant Coast.

A long way to go, but I finally got things "lined up." There was some unpleasant orthogonal banding in the HF which I have not quite eliminated. Now it's all pretty pictures and naming... Not really.

A long way to go...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BoroughsInitial.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	3026  

That looks great su_liam, going to have to step up my redo of my area.

I wish I had that delta/peninsula piece on your coast though, that's just my ideal area.
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

That's the major reason I picked it. With the Plaguelands butting up against the back of my mountains, I'm finding my patch a little more confining than I would have preferred.

After all the trouble Redrobes went to pulling out HFs and the like, I find myself leaning toward a more symbolic approach. I can't seem to eradicate the banding artifacts in the HF and my attempt to export it to Bryce developed weird holes. Grrr. My only remaining hope is to erode it in Wilbur. I'll do that on the Moo Machine at work tonight.

Frustratingly, the old version of Wilbur I had on The Cow at work had problems with its incise flow, so I spent most of the night uploading the new new version of Wilbur. And apparently the entire .Net framework . At the end of all that, it turns out the computer was missing a .dll needed for the job. So I went home and tucked my beautiful wife into bed.

I was able to do a passable job with some noise and scratches filters, a touch of Gaussian Blur and a wee bit of Bryce erosion. I'm currently rendering an overhead perspective of my neighborhood.

Here is the current state of my work. Coming along slowly.

Name:	Boroughs2.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	3035  
    Last edited by su_liam; 04-08-2008 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Added picture

since we're neighbor regions, I was wondering if you wanted me to change anything on my map, or add anything. I tried to avoid anything on that border, other than a crossroads town. also, you haven't posted in a while
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Wip Latest Crapulent Update

I'm happy with what you are doing Airith. I've been having trouble getting anything to look good on my map. This is an update to show that I've added some limited text. I think I need to bump up the resolution and drop the text size considerably. I'm also working on a more standardized format(text sizes and colors for various features, etc.).

I'm having a lot of trouble with features around Winsome Bay. This is rather important because that bay is the major reason I chose this section. Slartibartfast had fjords, I have San Francisco Bay. I always try to work a San Francisco Bay into any map I do.

Oh yeah, and I completely messed up the latitude. I thought this place was way up north, thus the Shires. If this is a Plate Carée projection, I calculated this is only a little north of thirty degrees. Oops.

I moved Lada Hakuspiet. Originally it was the major river that emptied into Nacker Bay, but I decided the major center of Stoutling civilization, such as there is, was in the crescent-shaped valley to the north and moved it accordingly.

I need to look around and see if the large barrier mountains to the east have been named yet.

A little background. This coastline was originally the site of a major Elven kingdom. The elves mysteriously disappeared about 1,200 years ago, perhaps related to the Blight now effecting the people across the mountains. The area was regarded with superstition by locals and remained largely abandoned until a small group of Stoutlings settled at a site near the modern village of Billibottoms about 600 years ago. More recently, a small human fishing village on Cape Shorn has grown into a major center of commerce, taking advantage of the good protected anchorage of Winsome Bay.

Name:	BoroughsText.png 
Views:	193 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	3491  

I wanna go to Twitbollocks and then later Lillypudding

And just what is there at Bushhollow
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I just can't get used to that lighting from the SE! All the rivers look like veins standing out on the back of an old guy's hand

-Rob A>
    It's kind of a default. I'll try to fix it on the next go-round. If I use a slightly oblique view it actually works better, cause you don't just see the shadowy south sides of mountains. And some of those things actually are sticking out like veins. Bryce erosion sometimes has some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I wanna go to Twitbollocks and then later Lillypudding

And just what is there at Bushhollow
    I didn't mean for Bushhollow to sound quite that dirty. It's just a depression in the ground with a lot of bushes. Now Lingara's L... ^x^x^x^x never mind...
    Last edited by su_liam; 05-09-2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Too embarrassed at my own stupididity(int.)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast