Thread: Fantasy world map

Default Fantasy world map

Project Scope:

I have epic fantasy novel that needs a new world map created. There is a hand-drawn existing map to use as a building block, but with the publication of book 2 in the series, I need to upgrade the map to a professional rendition for reproduction in print and online. This is a paid project, and credit will be given to the map artist on the copyright page of all books in which it is featured.

Setting:
    Fantasy realm of Alorin. Existing map graphic attached.

Design Concept:
    Looking for a map similar in style to these:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/feature/VaniyaMap.jpg I like the ancient look of this map, as though it’s been used by centuries of sea captains, as well as the writing in the background. I like the cartographer’s use of varying shades of green, though this isn’t required in my map. I love the way the mountains and forests are styled, especially the mountains. I like the font the cartographer chose, that it is easily readable, and you can easily tell the boundaries between kingdoms. Overall the look and style of this map fits with what I envision – a certain level of realism.

http://orullian.com/vaults/map.html#map What I like about this map is the realistic use of color, the way the mountains are done (not clone-stamped) and the ancient look of it. However, his world is much larger than mine so his map overall hasn’t enough detail for what I’m seeking.

I am definitely looking for realism in the map. I needs to look like it was created in an ancient time.

My book has an overarching concept that could be captured in the map. This is the concept of patterns (in the style of a complex endless knot or fractal designs – not plaids and florals). The magic system in the book is based on the idea that all things are formed of patterns, and if you can learn the pattern that is unique to a thing, you can compel that thing. Of course it’s much more complicated than this, but this is the general idea. So celtic type knots (though not too obviously celtic) or fractal patterns could be included in the map, in the legend, or around the compass wheel – just as some examples of ideas.

There is an existing map that I drew by hand, but it has scale issues so can’t be copied exactly. Still, it will give a general outline of places and names. I would like to work with the cartographer to resolve the scale issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.pdf 
Views:	153 
Size:	264.5 KB 
ID:	42826

Number of maps:
    One world map of Alorin
    A detail view of Dannym, Veneisea and Xanthe.
    A detail view of M’Nador and the Akkad

Technical:
    300 dpi minimum. Jpg, tiff, or png files
    Full color
    Need this to be done in high enough resolution to blow up the map for printing at poster size.

Copyright:
    Remains with cartographer.
    Author retains right to reproduce the maps in print and online.
    Willing to discuss royalties from sales of printed copies of the map and/or allow cartographer to handle any requests for copies directly.

Deadline:
    Flexible (1-3 months). Book is currently in editing.

Payment:
    $500-$1500 (I am flexible on the cost. I am willing to pay than this more depending on the type of artwork, the detail provide and the scope of the project as outlined by the artist).
    Payable via Paypal upon delivery of the final files.

Melissa McPhail
    mgmcph(at)yahoo(dot)com
    Please use subject line World Map of Alorin
    Last edited by torstan; 03-07-2012 at 04:28 PM.

This looks really lovely and seems to be a very good project. I'd love to help you out with it.

Anyhow, I've sent you an e-mail.
    Last edited by Lukc; 03-06-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: (changed tense of sentence)

Yes, this sounds like a wonderful project. I've sent an email as well.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Blog Entries

Very interested here, I've also sent off an email.

Hehe, she's going to have a few emails to check out that's for sure.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 03-06-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thank you so much to everyone who sent me an email about this project. I am so grateful to all of you and very admiring of the vast expertise evidenced in so many wonderful portfolios. I have found a guild member now to take on the project. Thank you all again very much.

Awesome! I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we look forward to seeing the results.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt