Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: City Design by Journal Entry -Reboot!-

Guild Log, Liam Napper
    The caravan arrived today; with 10 of our workers to relieve those who are on their way home... There aren't a great number of other migrants, but I think we'll be able to manage with what we've got.

It's worth noting that we've obtained a smith, I'm assuming he wanted to beat the competition here... I don't care much for why, I'm just glad he's here. The ground has proved to be quite rocky, wearing out our shovels quite quickly... and this hard word could be cut much faster when the axes can be frequently sharpened... I met with the smith earlier today; we went searching for a site for his smithy. It seems he'll need a continuous supply of water, so we situated him in a prime location right by the river. The smith will need to be build at least partially in stone, which takes time... so I've assiged 2 of our workers to help get him up and running as soon as we can.

The other arrival the guild has arranged is of our cook, Aspen Darkfire. Her beauty is something to behold, she carries herself as strong, yet delicate... I've already witness two of the men making lewd advances toward her... Let's just say they will be nursing their wounds for a fortnight. She's looking to set up a small tavern to help feel our men, so I've given her the use of another 5 of our men.

The rest, guild-members and migrants alike will be working to build 3 long houses, a long structure of bunks to house everyone in relative comfort. I've made an agreement with the Winterdales, Greensmiths, and Wardens to deliver regular shipments of their extra food stores. The Greensmiths have already expressed an interest in expanding their crops to provide a more permanent solution for the outpost.

For the next couple of days we have all 20 workers while the caravan drivers restocks and rest... I'm putting them to good use on building our shelters... I'm getting tired of sleeping in a damp tent.
    Last edited by loogie; 03-14-2012 at 10:46 AM.
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Adam Citrine's Personal Journal

The smithy is almost complete. The men that Mister Liam asked to help me
    have done a lot. I have a flagstone floor and a large open area for the
    forge and to work. I also have a room that I can use as a shop and a back
    room of my own. It's even bigger then Master Yorn's smithy!! We even have
    a couple stalls for horses so they have somewhere to stay if I've got more
    then one to shoe.

The only problem so far, no roof. It seems the Winterdale's have suppled
    thatch for some of the other buildings but I don't think Therris and his kin like
    the way Fiona Winterdale was looking at me... Or the way I was looking
    at her!

Anyway, they wont even sell me some left over hay so I've been thinking of
    other roofing options and found some bright red clay up the river a ways. I brought
    some back to the forge and it makes some decent shingles. I've already
    finished enough to roof half the smithy.
    Last edited by angellus00; 03-14-2012 at 11:51 PM.

Runaway Apprentice Cooper - John "Little Johnny" Apples

I've been here a couple weeks now and it's all work all the time. I need
    some fun. Why'd I leave being a 'printice and come out here if I'm just
    going to be stuck in a bunk with some other stinking runaways and
    worthless bastards..

You know what this place needs, brandy. Lots of brandy. Fresh water's all
    well and good but a man needs a drink now and again.

No barrels though.

I swore I'd never make another barrel but if I can get some space and my own
    roof out of it I could make some barrels from the left over lumber. I'm
    sure I remember my Da's Apple Brandy recipe...

Maybe I can set up down by the Smithy, I'll need bands for my barrels and
    I'm sure he'll be a big customer, a guy that size!

nice work!

I've come upon a realization that may... well confuse things a bit... thought of this as I thought of how long a stone smithy would take to build, compared to a large wooden shack... The issue is this... that it will be hard to keep us all posting in chronological order... someone might be writing a post detailing something that happened before the smithy was complete for instance... in which case that post will end up after them in the thread, but before them chronologically... hmm.. any suggestions on how to handle that?

I figured you'd be taking care of sorting the items once you started work on the actual maps.

Optionally, if I had any idea how long that would take... which I don't... I could go back and add dates to the entries.
    Last edited by angellus00; 03-15-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Baxis - Younger Guardsmen

I was on watch today and I saw my first live goblin. It was in the woods north of the fort.
    I talked to the Capitan about it and he said we need to clear the trees back further. The
    more clear land between us and the trees the more warning we will have if the goblins
    decide to try something.

Maybe we could use some of the trees we clear to make a palisade. The Capitan would
    have to approve that. I could suggest it.

Jehan Maras - Merchant

Letter from Jehan Maras to his brother Guimar

My dear brother,

I regret to inform you that I have not met an untimely death at the hands of brigands, plunged into a raging torrent and been battered to death upon the rocks, or fallen prey to one of these wild animals one hears so much about. I have likewise failed to succumb to any disease, parasite, or cowardly impulse to flee to the comforts of home. Discomforts I have endured but they would make for a dull tale indeed and so I shall not bore you with a detailed account of the perils of road. Indeed, I saw only one inept bandit the whole time we journey north and though I fancy I heard a wolf or two howling in the distance, I saw nothing of these beasts. I was, as you may imagine, somewhat disappointed. I thought this was supposed to be the wild north, not some lord’s game-park. Several score of unpleasant blisters, the product of an ill-fitting saddle and even worse fitting boots, are my chief complaints at present.

I seem to recall that both the saddle and the boots were gifts from you, dear brother. Were you hoping I would perish of some species of blood poisoning along the road? If so, I believe I’ve foiled you rather neatly, don’t you think?

I believe we may now dispense with the pleasantries and turn to business which, I am gratified to say, looks to be more promising that we had anticipated. The trees which infest these northern wastes are massive things, tall and straight as arrows and wide enough that fully seven men might stand abreast upon the stump of a single tree and still have room to spare. I have seen just such a sight only yesterday. Believe me brother, the potential value of these trees is nothing short of staggering.

And while I am daily surrounded by this vegetable profligacy I cannot claim to have yet become jaded to the sight of these towering giants. You’ll not believe me of course, but if you could see these trees, especially see them growing in their endless forests, I swear that you too would walk about in a perpetual state of astonished wonder. Nevertheless, I shall restrain any wild romantical notions about this pristine wilderness, I am not here for exploration nor to satisfy my curiosity about the remoter parts of the world as you have so often reminded me, and will instead set about engaging workmen to fell these trees and send them with all speed down-river.

Lem wishes you well and I thank you for the loan of him on this expedition. I would not have made it this far in one piece without his sagacious council and practical good sense in matters of rough living and . He has located a site for our temporary dwelling, a small hillock near one of the tributary streams which should serve us well enough until a more permanent domicile can be contemplated.

We are within sight of the fort here upon our wee hill, the only sign of civilization this region can boast for the present. The garrison here is very small but apparently quite industrious. They go about their martial duties, Lem informs me they appear to be building bunkhouses and similar structures, with seeming competence. This should cheer me I suppose, but it does not. I do not like that there are so few soldiers here, especially so far from any aid. Furthermore, I suspect their captain, at least I believe it is their captain, has designs of depriving me of Lem’s services.

Your pardon brother, some official or other from the fort would have speech with me. I will continue when I have dealt with him.

Well, this is pretty mess. Lem and I have both been press-ganged into assisting the construction of these aforementioned bunkhouses. I tried to protest, tried to make him understand that I was a merchant engaged in timber prospecting, that I had no practical experience in matters of construction, that I would be a hindrance rather than an aid, that I would probably break some poor soul’s thumb with an ill-directed hammer blow, but he would not listen. If he required my assistance, perhaps I might be of more use in taking inventory of supplies and considering the thorny problems of logistics in so remote a place? No to that as well. It was build or nothing, so build I did.

No broken thumbs today thankfully, but my hands do grow tired from so much unexpected rough work. I will write again when I have more news to report and more of my wits about me.

My affectionate greetings to Elysant and to the children and my wishes of prosperity.

I remain, you somewhat bewildered and exhausted brother,

-Jehan
    --

I hope this is acceptable having Jehan conscripted into the building of the housing like this.
    Last edited by Sular; 03-16-2012 at 12:18 PM.

well.. that was in fact pretty great... A logger eh? I was indeed thinking of just such a thing, running the logs down river... I think as far as a map, I will begin by addressing the locations of the buildings I have specified, and then let you choose your locations (you can take my image and draw your own building footprint and extras, or just tell me the location and i'll draw it...

Quote Originally Posted by angellus00 View Post
    I figured you'd be taking care of sorting the items once you started work on the actual maps.

Optionally, if I had any idea how long that would take... which I don't... I could go back and add dates to the entries.
    I'd figure it'd be a good 2-3 weeks... collecting and placing those stones would be no easy feat.. its like making a puzzle, but it must be correctly leveled before it's placed.. then all the wood work.. and well, clay shingles would be quite the task too, although it'd be something else you can produce, tho it would be faster and the results better with a real kiln i would assume.

the order of things isn't extremely important, but helps us know when things happen... i think at some point posting a main thread or a doc or something that just displays all the posts in order would be all we need.. maybe a shared google doc? i dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by loogie View Post
    I'd figure it'd be a good 2-3 weeks... collecting and placing those stones would be no easy feat.. its like making a puzzle, but it must be correctly leveled before it's placed.. then all the wood work.. and well, clay shingles would be quite the task too, although it'd be something else you can produce, tho it would be faster and the results better with a real kiln i would assume.

the order of things isn't extremely important, but helps us know when things happen... i think at some point posting a main thread or a doc or something that just displays all the posts in order would be all we need.. maybe a shared google doc? i dunno.
    Yeah, I figure a decent house would take around 3 weeks. Something that was actual built to be a permanent structure anyway.

As far as cooking clay, it would only take a few days to make a batch. You can do it with just direct sunlight but that would take a while and produces something more like adobe then brick. All you really need is a good mold and that is easy enough to create. Scoop the clay infused mud into the mold, smooth it flat with a spade or even a knife, leave somewhere hot where it will dry, then cook it in the forge or kiln (can be skipped for weaker bricks/shingles). A blacksmiths forge could easily provide the needed 900 degrees. In fact a blacksmiths forge would produce temperatures much higher but a good smith could easily regulate the temperature of his forge.

I'm going to wait a bit to post anything else about the smith and attempt to come up with additional characters. Let other people catch up, maybe see some more core posts from you.
    Last edited by angellus00; 03-16-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast