Thread: Need (alot of) help with world map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Need (alot of) help with world map

I posted a thread in the Request forum, where I asked for someone to create a map for me, since I felt my own skills were severely lacking. I received enough encouragement that I should try to do it on my own however. So now that I feel that I have enough time, I have decided to have a go at it.

From my original post in the request forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulliman View Post
    Greetings!

I have been working on a private fantasy project for some time now. It is not connected to any kind of roleplaying module or world, but the material I have created might become a novel or series of novels sometime in the distant and muddled future (depending on whether or not I succeed at world conquest).

Since the project has become quite detailed, I have realized that I will be in need of a map that is more professionally created than I can achieve. What I am looking for is this:

• An aestethically pleasing map, according to wishes.
    • Ability for me to add names, cities, borders and suchlike (i.e., not too fuddled with details). Customizable.

The point of the map would be that I would be able to customize it. I am a history major, which means that the main focus for my world is its history and timeline. This means that I will need to illustrate for myself the political, cultural and demographical changes on a map, in order to gain a clear view of my project.

Contact me via PM if you are interested, and I will give you further details . I am absolutely not a rich person, but if the artist is very ambitious, I will feel obliged to reward this monetarily.

Here follows a map originally made in Paint (!), which I have used for printing. It depicts the continent, its mountainous regions as well as rivers and lakes.
    So basically, I would like to customize my map in such a way that it is aesthetically pleasing, while at the same time being functional. The version I have now works wonderfully with printing and then drawing with a pencil, but I was thinking of creating a homepage for my fantasy world, and because of that I might need something more serious.

So first things first, what are the first things first? Should I look at what kind of colours I need or something? Currently, my map only shows mountains and rivers, but there are other kinds of terrain, such as hills, forests and wasteland that I need to map out. Does anyone have a tip on how to go about that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karta, skiss med berg.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	3030