Thread: [WIP] Hedge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected

Wip [WIP] Hedge

I started working on a new city today. Hedge is located under an over hang along a large cliff system. It is basically situated in what amounts to a giant cave. The really interesting geographically feature is the waterfall flowing off the overhang making a nearby lake that the city is built against.

I don't have a scanner so I snapped a picture on my phone last night. It doesn't have labels yet and again, I'm not much for drawing.

The dashed line represents the overhang of the cliff and the inside wall of the cave. The lake is on the left and that thing there is supposed to be the waterfall.

The town was originally named 'High Tower's Edge' and the Lake was originally Lake High Tower but everyone has forgotten the Lake's name and just calls it 'The Lake' and they have shortened 'High Tower's Edge' to just 'Hedge'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120309_012143.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	42906  

Finished sketching the main map. There will be two inserts when it is all done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120309_171054.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	42910

Added some labels, will likely remove them before inking and then look for a scanner so I can get a good clean digital copy.

I always like seeing a good hand-made map

But just one question - how big is the lake? Because you have a *lot* of docks for a city of that size, I'm assuming it's large enough to support quite a bit of trade.

Yeah, first I drew them smaller and now I'm considering removing half of them. The idea is for it to be mostly fishing and pleasure craft and maybe some craft going back and forth with a village or something on the other side of the lake. I was thinking most of their food would come from fishing the lake.

Also the area under the city is going to be almost as big as what I've already shown here. I haven't even started on that and the Dwarven halls.

You think that is still to much??

Just so I know I'm picturing this in my mind right, the city is effectively inside a sort of cave and the waterfall drops down infront of the city from above? And then I assume at the back of the cave is the opening into the dwarven halls?

Also, there's no such thing as too much. Just how long you can keep going!

I just meant, to many docks. For the number of people. There isn't any lake/river trade, the docks are mostly for pleasure craft and fishing. Since they don't have a lot of room nearby for farming they eat a ton of fish and they also eat a lot of rice. Very Japanese cuisine but fresh water fish.

Larb : Yes, you have it right. And at the south end is stairs down to 'Down' Town. Which is basically underground apartments for the poor.